FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shooting a scene with minimal audio/mics.. pls read!

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Diego Garcia
Shooting a scene with minimal audio/mics.. pls read!
on Jun 18, 2009 at 9:08:43 pm

I am shooting a scene at a restaurant where a woman will be speaking in front of the camera as she sits with her friends. i bought a shotgun mic for this occasion to only find out that its not compatible with my camera!!

So my options are down to using the internal mic on my hvx. or should it set up my handheld mic(not wireless) close the woman who will be speaking???

please, any input would be greatly appreciated!

-D

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
Re: Shooting a scene with minimal audio/mics.. pls read!
on Jun 18, 2009 at 9:17:30 pm

hi there

you bought a shotgun use it. (rent a field mixer to adapt the shotgun)
you have more then 1 track on your camera use both your option's.
so you end up with more option's in post

greet
Maurice

Return to posts index

Diego Garcia
on Jun 18, 2009 at 9:21:57 pm

Thanks for your reply Maurice. The shoot is tonight and the shotgun mic i purchased is not compatible with the HVX. And it's too late to get another one.

So I think I will try to shot on both audio channels as you said. Do you think a handheld mic could pick up the dialogue if placed close enough?

D

Return to posts index

maurice jansen
on Jun 18, 2009 at 9:44:02 pm

well i don't know what mic you use.
and i don't know how wide your shot will be.
i really can't tell. if it is staged try to get your self a way to confidence your recording (fast)
a retake can save your life

greet
Maurice

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 19, 2009 at 2:32:11 pm

HOW is the shotgun not compatible? Does it require phantom power, and your camera doesn't supply it? Do you have a plug mismatch, and if so, what kind? Radio Shack easily solves the second problem, rather cheaply. There *should* be a way to use the shotgun, if you can more fully describe the mic and the camera.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 19, 2009 at 2:43:46 pm

Wait, is this an HVX 200 Panasonic? You have XLR connectors on the side and I'm sure you must have control, at least thru menus, for selecting line or mic level inputs as well as phantom power for those inputs. So tell me straight, what kind of shotgun is this, make and model and I think we stand a good chance to get you up and running with it.

And you can cover your bases by taking your handheld "stick" mic, running that on the second channel, and placing that on the table in front of her, perhaps hidden from camera by a table centerpiece or something like that.

One other thing: they are not great, but Radio Shack sells lavoliere mics for something like twenty bucks. You can hide that on her clothes and get it really close to her face, and it will help versus trying to shoot with the camera's built-in mic from a distance.

Return to posts index

George Burbano
on Jun 20, 2009 at 10:01:19 pm

I dont understand what shotgun mic you could have bought, that has been made in the past 10yrs that is not compatible with the HVX??

But it should work fine...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]