FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wedding DVD, extra DVD's ???

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trent WhittingtonWedding DVD, extra DVD's ???
by on Feb 26, 2009 at 12:23:02 pm

Hey COW's

I recently edited a Wedding DVD for a friend of a friend's about a month or two ago as a sort of wedding present for the couple, even though i wasnt really interested in doing it; I figured I could add it to my reel and gain some experience as I am a student. I finished the DVD and the couple were ecstatic with the result which I was happy because I put way too many hours into it then I should of normally but I was also learning 'Color' at the same time. Anyways I ended up giving them 8 copies of the wedding, as well as the Dvd's being printed on etc.

So Months have passed and only last week was I about to delete all the fcp project files, images etc. when the couple asked for another 8 copies (After failing at trying to burn it themselves)...by the way one should think; even a thankyou card or something for doing all editing, grading etc for free should of been the norm?

So my question is this: Should I give them 8 more FREE copies of the wedding even though I own all the footage, images etc.?
---Keeping in mind if they had a proffesional edit it Im sure it would of been in the $5,000+ range maybe more.

Trent Whittington - Currently studying Associate Degree in Digital Television

iMsc - 24inch 3.06Ghz, FC STUDIO 2, Adobe Production Premium CS4.
Asus eee - 8.9inch 1.6Ghz 1Gb Ram, Windows XP

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Wedding DVD, extra DVD's ???
by on Feb 26, 2009 at 4:24:37 pm

Give it to them. If you want more wedding business, happy customer referrals are your number one asset and source of additional gigs.

You did it as a present, and for the free training experience, don't go back on that now, but tell them that after this run, they will have to make their own copies because you have paying work coming up and need the drive space. A more subtle way of saying "there's a limit on free".

And when you give them their final dubs, don't be shy to say: "If you like these, please do tell any friends you know that are planning a wedding that I'm available for hire". Leave biz cards with the dubs.

Return to posts index

Michael MurrayRe: Wedding DVD, extra DVD's ???
by on Mar 2, 2009 at 6:09:51 pm

Mark's right. Give it to them. I like to burn the copies on dual layer discs. It's harder for the average joe to copy. Also, the video is better, because you have twice the space to burn, so you compress less.

Michael Murray
Summer Wind Productions

Return to posts index

Trent WhittingtonRe: Wedding DVD, extra DVD's ???
by on Mar 3, 2009 at 3:44:00 am

Thanks for the great advice Guys.

Ive basically told the client that the extra 8 copies wont be a problem but after that I will start charging and they totally understand which I was heaps glad about.

Thanks again :)

Trent Whittington - Currently studying Associate Degree in Digital Television

iMsc - 24inch 3.06Ghz, FC STUDIO 2, Adobe Production Premium CS4.
Asus eee - 8.9inch 1.6Ghz 1Gb Ram, Windows XP

Return to posts index

Tracy PetersonRe: Wedding DVD, extra DVD's ???
by on Apr 15, 2009 at 7:19:44 pm

Hell I would have at least charged for stock. When you offer something for free, that's one thing, but you are always, always, always within norms of etiquette to ask for money when asked to do ANYTHING. Just don't try to rob a friend.

Tracy Peterson
http://www.onetwomany.com

Return to posts index

Jeffrey VenableRe: Wedding DVD, extra DVD's ???
by on Jun 3, 2009 at 5:46:36 pm

I've run into this before doing weddings. I agree with everyone else, go ahead and burn the extra copies, but now you know for the future to write how many copies will be available for purchase in the contract. I usually include 2 copies in the package, and then each additional copy is anywhere between 5 and 10 dollars.

Jeff Venable
-Video + Editing + Photo-

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]