FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lavalier Placement

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris BryanLavalier Placement
by on Jan 23, 2009 at 6:13:43 pm

Quick question about Lavalier placement. Where do you put the lavalier? I mic the groom so that I can pick up the Bride, Groom and Officiant, however, I am always getting noises from the Groom's coat. Generally I tape the mic to the inside of the coat. But whenever they make the slightest movement I get a loud rustling sound. I haven't met a groom yet that wants the microphone visible in any way, so it has to be hidden somewhere. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Lavalier Placement
by on Jan 24, 2009 at 1:51:41 am

In his lapel, in the boutonnière (flowers) he wears. In a button hole. I have hung one over the top of a person's ear, hiding the wire in their hair, securing it with a little blenderm tape, and it picked up great wherever they faced, with no change in level. Nobody saw it under the bangs. You can run from the inside back up to the neck if they have long hair, that covers the back of the collar, then run under the coat collar to the lapel area.

lavs are almost universally omni mics, there are a few oddball exceptions that are rare. The clothing noise is often vibration transmitted along the rest of the mic wire, so one early thing to try is to tape the entire cable down inside the coat so nothing is free to rub.

Return to posts index

Michael MurrayRe: Lavalier Placement
by on Jan 31, 2009 at 1:03:51 am

I've done 20 years of weddings and never once had a groom say he wanted the mic hidden. Are you asking them? "Hey Tom, I need your inside pocket so we can get the vows nice and clear", then I place it lower on his lapel. Yes, you can see it if you look for it but it's very minor. I take it off after the receiving line.

I take that back, I had one groom say he didn't want a mic at all, nervous nelly. So I put it on the kneeler.

Michael Murray
Summer Wind Productions

Return to posts index

Chris BryanRe: Lavalier Placement
by on Jan 31, 2009 at 1:12:01 am

Were wireless microphones commonplace for weddings 20 years ago?

I'd say over half the grooms I mic ask for it to be hidden. They don't want them showing up in pictures. Or more often, the bride doesn't want to see the microphone anywhere. Most of them will opt to not even have a mic if it has to be seen and have the audio picked up from a shotgun microphone.

Return to posts index

Dave MessingerRe: Did you say Lavalier "re"-Placement
by on Feb 3, 2009 at 4:36:20 am

Anyone had to replace a Sennheiser M2 ? My wires got frayed - is it worth $140 for a new mic ?

Dave Messinger

Return to posts index

Praveen RpRe: Lavalier Placement
by on May 1, 2009 at 2:40:41 pm

Use a small piece of felt go to a fabric supply, tape it on the tux under the lapel where the lavalier lays so when any brushing the felt will sound smooth. Works great for me!

passionate learner

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved