FORUMS: list search recent posts

Connecting SD cameras to mixer

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Santos
Connecting SD cameras to mixer
on Dec 15, 2008 at 11:56:55 am

I understand that capturing through the composite out from the camera to the computer will yield poor results because the image quality is poor, unlike that capturing through firewire. In a multi-cam setup in events, how do they connect SD cameras (like XL1 and DVX100) to the video mixer? If they use the composite out (from the cameras), then that means all images recorded (in a separate recording tape deck connected from the mixer) in the tape will be of poor quality. Thanks and God bless.

Return to posts index

Matte Blume
Re: Connecting SD cameras to mixer
on Dec 16, 2008 at 3:12:25 pm

Some video switchers ("mixers") can use Composite.
Some video switchers can use Y/C (S-Video.)
Some video switchers can use FireWire.

The first method yields good results,
the successive methods yield higher quality.

Return to posts index

Ryan Santos
on Dec 16, 2008 at 11:34:53 pm

What do you use or what is commonly used? You said that composite is good but will it yield acceptable results? A friend of mine who works for a TV station that uses DVX100 cameras told me they use BNC adapters (attached to the composite out of their cameras) to connect to switchers, and I'm confused because I think anything that comes out from the composite is not broadcast quality. God bless.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Dec 17, 2008 at 4:45:07 am

Your information is wrong do some research.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Ryan Santos
on Dec 17, 2008 at 11:02:32 pm

Thanks Steve. Then what's the proper connection to use for usable recorded footages in this cameras-switcher-recorder setup? Thanks again and God bless.

Return to posts index

jerry parker
on Dec 18, 2008 at 1:15:46 am

Composite is fine, we use it for videonics tricaster and vt5 remote work. we have 75 foot cables, but sometimes need to run longer. its not SDI quality but we get good results, match the cameras up first. Schools use S video for up to 25 ft runs but you can mix the cables and not see a big difference. the light and exposure have a bigger effect on the look than the cables connecting them, at least with DVX100 and XL1 cameras. good BNC connectors on a composite cable holds up better and is easier to repair than an S cable.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Dec 18, 2008 at 2:41:40 am

Ryan

You are dealing with prosumer/consumer gear not broadcast. Obviously your picture quality is not going to as good as broadcast.

For your workflow, composite will be fine. You are still dealing with garbage in garbage out. If you had a high quality broadcast camera connected to your mixer via composite, it would look very nice.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]