FORUMS: list search recent posts

Event Videographer Association

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris BryanEvent Videographer Association
by on Nov 23, 2008 at 2:19:00 am

Hello Everyone,

I'm interested in getting insurance for my Wedding Videography business. I've been told to join WEVA to get cheap insurance. While researching WEVA I came across the 4ever Group which seems to be cheaper than WEVA and also offers insurance.

My questions are, does anyone here have any experience with either group? Are there groups besides these two that I'm not aware of that I should look into?

Thanks!

Chris

Return to posts index

David DerozierRe: Event Videographer Association
by on Nov 23, 2008 at 5:08:05 am

(David makes the Sign of the Cross...)

WEVA is older as its been around for ~20 years, 4Ever was a breakoff from WEVA when some (ok, a lot of) people became disenfranchised with WEVA. I say this only so you have some background -- in other words, bad blood probably still exists, so don't use ones name with the other.

What kind of insurance are you looking for, equipment or 'Errors and Omissions' (E&O)?

E&O is good to have because in your travels, somebody is going to get disappointed with your work or a screw-up will occur.

I'm leery of equipment insurance (except for equipment that remains on your physical property) because it's a double-edged sword, equipment costs are dropping but you can't really afford not to have it - what I'm trying to say is that the insurance company is going to give you less than what you need to replace it because video equipment is like a new car, the value of the equipment drops 25% the second your credit card goes through the talzon.

The best 'insurance' you can get when you're videotaping a wedding I've found is hiring some big guy to watch over the equipment. I used to hire my cousin and gave him a twenty...he did eat his Wheaties...

As far as the organizations are concerned, contact them and get the information, they aren't going to let you get too much information, but they should be helpful enough to give you an idea if you want to join them or not, it's the least they should do for you before you fork over $$$ for membership and then more $$$ for the insurance...

Return to posts index

Chris BryanRe: Event Videographer Association
by on Nov 23, 2008 at 5:51:37 am

Thanks for the info!

The insurance that I am looking for is the $1,000,000 liability insurance that many locations in NYC now require of photographers and videographers.

Chris

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Event Videographer Association
by on Nov 24, 2008 at 3:34:01 pm

It is no help with E&O, but what I hear some folks do for the gear is cover it using something called an "inland marine" insurance policy.

Return to posts index

Bill CelnickRe: Event Videographer Association
by on Nov 29, 2008 at 3:22:34 pm

You don't necessarily need to be a member of an association to buy business liability insurance. I'm a WEVA member but don't use their program.

I have a policy through an independent agent, who also handles my homeowners and other insurance needs. If you already have a relationship with an insurance agent, start there.

From what I understand, wedj.com has a very reasonable program as well.

Return to posts index

Chris BryanRe: Event Videographer Association
by on Nov 29, 2008 at 4:48:50 pm

Thanks for the tip on Wedj.com I'm looking into them now. I'll also call my personal insurance carrier. It can't hurt right?

Return to posts index

Bill CelnickRe: Event Videographer Association
by on Nov 29, 2008 at 4:56:39 pm

Like anything else - comparison shop. Hopefully you'll never have to use your policy, but as you said, some halls require it, and its just another cost of doing business.

Return to posts index

Sebastian AlvarezRe: Event Videographer Association
by on Dec 12, 2008 at 11:29:14 pm

[David Derozier] "What kind of insurance are you looking for, equipment or 'Errors and Omissions' (E&O)?

E&O is good to have because in your travels, somebody is going to get disappointed with your work or a screw-up will occur."

I'm hoping to start my own business as an event videographer soon, and this is one of the things that I'm looking into. Recently as I was videotaping some scenes on a lake just for fun I got a drop out and on HDV that means you lose about 8 frames. That led me to think, what if you're taping a wedding and a drop occurs when they're kissing? Or even if you use AVCHD (as I plan for a second camera) what if the SDHC card suddenly decides it had too much and screws up? So this kind of situation is what the E&O insurance would be for, right, in case the customer gets really pissed off because you lost the best shot and decides to sue you? I don't want to be pessimistic, but anything can happen.

I looked up the WEVA, but their fee is $185 to join, which is a brutal amount of money for me as I'm just starting out. Does anybody know of any insurance company that will provide this E&O insurance? I imagine it must be as cheap as renter's insurance, but I never heard of it before.

Return to posts index

Philip MertenRe: Event Videographer Association
by on Dec 23, 2008 at 4:15:31 am

I have my equipment insurance and liability through the National Press Photographers Association. http://www.nppa.org The equipment insurance covers replacement value. The annual membership is $110.00. Check it out.

Return to posts index

Adam DeierlingRe: Event Videographer Association
by on Jan 29, 2010 at 6:31:28 pm

Hey guys, I am a videographer in Canton Ohio. I have always used http://www.FilmEmporium.com for my insurance. What’s great about them is that they specialize in film and video insurance so they fully understand us! Check 'em out!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]