FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio sync issues with camcorder and voice recorder

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Garibaldi
audio sync issues with camcorder and voice recorder
on Nov 1, 2008 at 3:13:53 pm

I recorded wedding vows using a olympus digital voice recorder WS-110. I am pleased with the quality however, it records at a different rate than my Sony VX2100. After about one minute of play it is about 1 or 2 frames off and I can hear an echo and lip snyc is slightly off.
Is there a digital voice recorder that records at the same speed as my camcorder?
I also own a sony mini disc recorder MZ-RH910 that I place at the podium. It stays in sync for about 1/2 hour. I could buy another mini disc recorder but they are expensive and I would like something smaller and lighter to place in the grooms pocket.
I do record the vows with a wireless but I want a back-up system.

thanks

Return to posts index

Matte Blume
Re: audio sync issues with camcorder and voice recorder
on Nov 1, 2008 at 10:16:44 pm

Each device records at the same speed... that speed being in minutes and seconds.

BUT, what might be happening is that the voice recorder "truncates" (pauses recording during) any PAUSES in audio, and therefore won't stay in sync with a unit that records continuously.
Many voice recorders do that automatically to save recording space.

And/Or if you are capturing the audio files directly from the voice recorder connected via USB to your computer, the SAMPLE RATE might be wrong to sync with the video.
You can convert it to the same rate as your video camera (likely 48 kHz - or even 32 kHz) using an audio application.

Return to posts index

David Garibaldi
on Nov 2, 2008 at 2:10:34 am

Hi Matte

The variable control voice actuator of my Olympus voice recorder was on off. It should have continued to record without pausing.

I used Switch audio converter to convert the original wma 32KHz audio file to 32KHz,44KHz and 48KHz uncompressed wave files but that did not change the speed of the recording at all. It still goes out of sync at the same time no matter what.

Any more ideas? By the way I found foam windscreens for my lapel microphone at Radio Shack. 4 for less than $4.00.

Dave

Return to posts index

Matte Blume
on Nov 2, 2008 at 10:19:19 pm

[David Garibaldi] "variable control voice actuator of my Olympus voice recorder was on off."

That may not be the only circuit in play.
As the unit compresses the files for storage, it may not
follow the internal "clock" perfectly but, instead, MIGHT favor a "less-space-used-the-better" recording method.

No way for me to know... EXCEPT that SOMETHING is changing the sync.

You might want to experiment... using a stopwatch (or clock) and a very quiet room.

Count aloud the first 10 seconds as you watch the clock.
Then, remain absolutely silent for 30 seconds, then start counting aloud again for 10 more seconds.

Play that back and watch your stopwatch as the unit plays.
See if the silence "truncates" (shortens) on playback.

Regardless, you might want to try another BRAND of voice recorder.
(Use my above method to see how it responds to silences.)

Return to posts index

David Garibaldi
on Nov 6, 2008 at 2:22:00 pm

Hi Matte

I did the experiment. The olympus does not stop recording. However, I continued to record for 15 min and the olympus was 2 sec off compaired to a stopwatch. It's own clock must not be accurate.

Any voice recorders you recommend?

Dave

Return to posts index

Matte Blume
on Nov 8, 2008 at 3:08:21 am

Many very good reports from those using iRiver voice recorders in video productions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]