FORUMS: list search recent posts

Software switching

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim MaddouxSoftware switching
by on Oct 16, 2008 at 8:49:42 pm

Greetings All!

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this but here goes.

Looking to stream video of a radio talkshow.
The setup is an interview table with 3 people, appropriate lighting and a consumer DV camera for each person.
The question is... using the cameras firewire, is there a software solution (Mac or PC) for switching?

Thanks for your time!

Tim

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Software switching
by on Oct 17, 2008 at 8:39:10 pm

Depending on how high you set your standards, yes. Look for example at Channel Storm "Livechannel". About a grand, last time I looked, it is for the mac computers and notebooks: it will take a firewire and a USB camera at the same time and live-switch with or without effects or transitions beatween them, plus give you lower thirds and (I think) import of powerpoint slides, and streaming. That's a lot to ask to be done all in software. I was super-excited about it until I came across the limitation of only one firewire camera, the other has to be a crummier USB webcam. "Crummy" being subjective, of course, there is a difference between a 20-dollar eyeball cam and your Cannon, obviously. Then again, I haven't seen it in a while, maybe they improved it to take multiple FW inputs, or there may be a hack involving using a hub....

I'm pretty sure I saw a PC flavored app like this too, but can't remember a name now. Might want to try a search of download.com

Return to posts index

Tim MaddouxRe: Software switching
by on Oct 17, 2008 at 9:53:01 pm

Very helpfull Mark!!!

Thank you for the reply!

I'll take a look.

Tim

Return to posts index

Mark RaudonisRe: Software switching
by on Oct 19, 2008 at 6:29:26 pm

Another option is from "FlipforMac" called " Wirecast". PC and Mac versions available.

http://www.flip4mac.com/wirecast.htm

We've owned this software since back when Wirecast was an independent company. Now that they're part of Flipfor Mac, you might get the advantage of more integration with their other products.

We've used it to stream live from our studios a four camera shoot onto the internet. Lot's of value for the $$$. (It think it's only $500bucks).

Mark

Return to posts index

Tim MaddouxRe: Software switching
by on Oct 20, 2008 at 5:17:07 pm

Mark,

This looks very, very promising!!

I see the only options are Windows Media and Quicktime for encoding.
The folks that are currently streaming our program are using a Flash encoder. Do you have any suggestions on how I can get an uncompressed video feed to send to the Flash encoding machine using Wirecast as my switcher.
Also, what are my length limitations for FireWire?

Thanks for your help!

Tim

Return to posts index

Mark RaudonisRe: Software switching
by on Oct 23, 2008 at 8:00:27 am

Don't know the answer RE flash. Talk to someone at telestream.

We have firewire cables that are approx 25 feet long. To get 4 inputs, we added two separate firewire cards into the box.

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]