FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wedding coming up "Finally"

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David G. MerfeldWedding coming up "Finally"
by on Sep 27, 2008 at 5:58:17 am

I have had a rough year for weddings here in MN. I have been booking my clients 2-4 weeks out now. Just two years ago I was booking 6-9 months out. I have decided at the end of the year to pull all my Wedding Membership ad's Until the market has turned around. I am middle of the road in expensive but our company won Best of Weddings from the knot.com and this just doesn't seem to draw interest. Anyways Oct 11 wedding shoot only I was planning to shoot this in 720p 24pn with p2 cards I have 5 16 cards. I have access to additional 2 Firestores and (4) 16 cards if I need the memory. This will give me 215 minutes of HD recording time. The service is under 45 min, I hope!

I am a FCP 6.0 user G-5

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Wedding coming up "Finally"
by on Sep 29, 2008 at 2:12:32 pm

I think you're making a mistake pulling your advertising. Marketing is something you need to increase in bad times, and the good news is you have more of the market to yourself when others pull back. The event video business erlies heavily on referrals; have you been working the people that can give you a referral as hard as possible?

As far as 45 minutes max for a ceremony... not at any wedding I ever shot... at least an hour.

Return to posts index

Ron LindeboomRe: Wedding coming up "Finally"
by on Sep 29, 2008 at 2:47:56 pm

[Mark Suszko] "I think you're making a mistake pulling your advertising. Marketing is something you need to increase in bad times, and the good news is you have more of the market to yourself when others pull back."

I couldn't agree more, Mark. This is very good advice, especially when the market is going south as it has been in the recent past and is forecasted to remain so into the near future.

The companies that ride out bad times are the ones who cut back everything else but keep themselves in the game by remaining visible. As all the others around them get more and more conservative, (read: invisible), they climb to the top of the pack by becoming very visible and the company of choice.

Also, many companies I know actually get more customers by raising their rates in bad times. It weeds out the bottom-feeders and those who have the money almost always want the best. They don't take their daughter shopping for her wedding gown at WalMart and they do not want to get a Joe WalMart video for their daughter either.

Raise your standards and raise your rates. Buy marketing support. You will make it through the dry times while one after another of the more conservative players will exit the market because their invisibility will become a self-fulfilling prophecy that will guarantee fewer and fewer jobs until they finally have to turn out the lights.

Once again, good advice, Mark. (But I don't expect anything short of that from you.) :o)

Ron Lindeboom
creativecow.net

Return to posts index

Don GreeningRe: Wedding coming up "Finally"
by on Sep 30, 2008 at 10:17:27 am

At our last meeting our video association president was relating a conversation he had recently with the owner of a well known wedding video company in Washington State. This company owner said they usually average about 40 wedding shoots a year with a price tag of around 7 grand each. Fairly high end clients too, by the sounds of it. This year because of the economic downturn they did 6. Yikes.

- Don

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]