FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for a Decent Live Switcher

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sandy MillerLooking for a Decent Live Switcher
by on Sep 18, 2008 at 8:27:11 pm

Hi Everyone,

I used to work for a company that had the Tricaster Pro, and now I am working for myself recording seminars and need to purchase a switcher.

I like the Tricaster Pro as it's ease of use with the interface, and the compression quality was really nice. However, I edit on Premiere Pro, and it would always crash Premiere at random points of the video. I could never really get a specific solution for this challenge.

Since I am on the market for a switcher, I would like something that is comparable to the Tricaster, but does not have any issues with crashing my software.

What is it that everyone is using out there? I want to purchase within the next 3 months. I would like a live streaming option and tapeless switching.

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Looking for a Decent Live Switcher
by on Sep 19, 2008 at 5:13:33 pm

The Toaster and Tricaster are the only ones I can think of with *all* the features. There are laptop editors, there are laptop switcher programs, but few that combine all that with the graphics and etc. in quite the unique way the Newtek products do. or if they do, it's not exactly all in one box. You could look at Sony's Laptop all in one system, but it's pretty pricy.

You don't sound like you have a switcher problem, more like you have a Premiere problem to me.(ducks) The Tri comes with it's own speed edit NLE built in, have you ever messed with that?

I once got a week to play with and review a prototype of the Pinnacle StreamGenie. That was an awesome and very capable product that was ahead of its market, but it would have been a great success in today's podcasting environments. Just ahead of it's time back then, and the economy going "tango-uniform" right at that time didn't exactly help.

Return to posts index

Sandy MillerRe: Looking for a Decent Live Switcher
by on Sep 21, 2008 at 5:53:36 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the feedback! I have pitter-pottered around with Speed Edit....the interface and that whole editing scheme was just confusing to me..........I like being able to integrate Premiere, After Effects and Encore to create my products.

I know that there is a multi-camera funtion in Premiere, do anyone have any feedback on that?

I know that this is weird, but a couple of years ago, DV Magazine had a whole article on video switchers, in which I remember the Tricaster was in that as well as a bunch of others.......

I'll keep researching. Thanks for your input :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved