FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hourly rates for basic corporate events

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd VanSlyck
Hourly rates for basic corporate events
on Jun 22, 2008 at 7:40:34 pm

I'm curious about hourly rates for basic corporate events in a controlled environment (i.e. an events center).
Would they be much different from other "more complicated" shoots? My research indicates from $95-$125 (roughly).
I'm in a smaller midwest town.
tvs

Return to posts index

Matte Blume
Re: Hourly rates for basic corporate events
on Jun 24, 2008 at 11:41:36 am

For doing what?

Return to posts index

Todd VanSlyck
on Jun 24, 2008 at 2:00:07 pm

Shooting. Sorry. I'd say basic package, 1 camera w/tripod, wireless mic, lights if necessary. Just basic stuff. Shooting a speaker at a convention, blah blah blah.

Mac G5 dual 2.5's
2.5 gig ram
Final Cut Pro HD 5.0.3
and all the studio goodies
After Effects 6.5
Photoshop CS

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Jun 24, 2008 at 5:55:06 pm

I don't understand how you charge hourly rates for shooting to begin with. Suppose you book yourself for a two-hour shoot on July 10th. Now a large client contacts you for a large project for two days July 10th and 11th. You turn them down because you're working for 2 hours on the first day?

At the very least you should charge a half-day or full-day rate. We typically do not offer even half-day rates. It's not like we can book another shoot for the other half of the day.

Keep in mind that part of shooting involves planning, packing up your gear, driving, setting up, shooting, breaking down your gear and driving home. Do you include all of that in your hourly rate?

I suggest you re-examine your business plan including your rates. Of course this is all just my opinion.

Return to posts index

Matte Blume
on Jun 24, 2008 at 7:59:44 pm

[Greg Ball] "I don't understand how you charge hourly rates for shooting to begin with. Suppose you book yourself for a two-hour shoot on July 10th. Now a large client contacts you for a large project for two days July 10th and 11th. You turn them down because you're working for 2 hours on the first day?"

What would YOU do under these same circumstances.

Its not really an "hourly" vs. "day-rate" situation.

Do you dump the pre-arranged one-day to do the two-day?

Return to posts index

Todd VanSlyck
on Jun 24, 2008 at 8:38:56 pm

Greg
I'm not a freelancer. I'm full-time at a University (doing video and post-production) and I'm looking for ways to supplement my income. The University is opening an events center and I have an "in" to get work like this.
I think if I told Joe from Joe's Market I was going to charge him $450 for a two-hour shoot he would drop his jaw.
That's why I think, in this case, an hourly rate would be better.

Mac G5 dual 2.5's
2.5 gig ram
Final Cut Pro HD 5.0.3
After Effects 6.5
Photoshop CS

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Jun 26, 2008 at 1:53:20 pm

[Todd VanSlyck] "I think if I told Joe from Joe's Market I was going to charge him $450 for a two-hour shoot he would drop his jaw."

Then let his jaw drop. If you are doing quality work then you will command a quality price. If you can't charge a good price for your work than please stay out of corporate and leave it to those who know how to charge for their work. Sorry for my harsh tone, but I am currently doing battle with a state university who is trying to market their new HD teaching studio to the open market. Using public bought equipment and public paid staff for free market profit. Be thankful for your job and leave the corporate gigs alone, especially if you plan on using university equipment.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Rob Jackson
on Jun 26, 2008 at 2:07:47 pm

That's why people hire college students to do this type of work. They don't want to pay for experienced videographers. They just want their meeting recorded. Would I prefer they pay a professional $500++ for it? Yes, absolutely. Would I prefer they pay a college student $200 and give that student more experience before heading out into the career abyss rather than not pay anyone at all? Yes.

Rob Jackson
1018 Productions LLC
Real T Video

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Jul 4, 2008 at 3:44:22 am

Sure. Would you prefer to pay a young college student to paint the interior of your house for $200, or would you rather hire a professional for $1,000? Will you get the same results?
Would you have a college kid cut your hair before your wedding or big job interview? Or would you go to a professional.

If someone wants a poor quality video of their meeting, let them bring in their own home camcorder. Don't take advantage of a kid for your own gain.

Return to posts index

Lex Park
on Jul 13, 2008 at 9:51:59 pm

c'mon y'all... he's asking a pretty simple, basic question dealing with the idea of hourly rates. Don't waste posts bickering about what you do in your life, and questioning how he living his. He's a full time student... do you think he's thinking about daily rates?!

Geez... one person actually answered the question, and thank you Rob Jackson because I'm doing my first shoot next Friday of a corporate speaker's keynote and I was wondering this very same thing. I'm not anywhere close to a full-time or even part-time videographer, but was asked if I would do it because of all the other video and graphics work I do for my company. This will be on the side and I had to come up with a rate, so thanks again for giving me at least a ballpark to work with.

Carry on...

- The Foonshoe

Return to posts index

Rob Jackson
on Jun 26, 2008 at 1:57:17 pm

There's no correct answer for this question. I agree with the half/full day rates, but in this scenario, charging hourly works just fine. Charge whatever you feel your time is worth. If they balk, see if you can negotiate. You can base it on what others charge if you want, but that's how much they think they are worth, not what you think you are worth.

When I was in college I would charge $80/hour for one camera on a tripod. This didn't include any editing. Maybe start at $120 and if they seem hesitant, offer them an "exclusive" discount of 10% because...insert reason here...They're X type of company, You like his haircut, etc. People love feeling exclusive.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Jul 4, 2008 at 3:33:49 am

Then if you're a full-time student be a full-time student and leave the video work to professionals.

If you told Joe that you charge either a full-day rate or at least a half-day rate, he'd need to understand. If not, Joe is not the type of client you want.

If you think you can fill up the other 6 hours of your day with other shoots then go for it.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Jul 4, 2008 at 3:39:41 am

You asked "Do you dump the pre-arranged one-day to do the two-day?" No way! I'm professional and I treat clients professionally. I keep my word.

If I'm booked I'm booked. Better gigs always come around, but you have to keep your word in business. That's my point. I would not want to put myself in a situation where I booked myself and my gear for 2 hours at $50 -$100 per hour where I know I could book a day for $850.00. Just don't think in those terms and your clients will respect you too. If you want an hourly job try fast food

Return to posts index

Todd VanSlyck
on Jul 14, 2008 at 1:22:35 am

Thanks for the responses
I had a basic idea from surfing the net. I wanted to hear from those on the cow.
By the way, I'm not a student, I'm a professional who has been in the business for 14 years. However, I have not done freelance work in quite a long time.
tvs

Mac G5 dual 2.5's
2.5 gig ram
Final Cut Pro HD 5.0.3
After Effects 6.5
Photoshop CS

Return to posts index

Coach Feratu
on Oct 5, 2015 at 4:37:27 pm

No one is really being taken advantage of here. If you want below par work, done to mediocre standard and you pay $50, then that person gets $50 and you get a mediocre work.

If you want a professionally done work, with someone that has experience, than you can 100 percent trust, then you pay $1000. It's a simple method of you get what you pay for.

The problem would only arise, when a professional who is good at what he/she does is getting paid a crap wage, or an amateur who is mediocre is getting paid an handsome wage.

This way, it's easier to get experience. If I want to give some young amateur with no experience, some work, wouldn't I be more likely to risk $50, than a $1000. If you're making me pay full price for an amateur, that is just starting up in the business, then I'd rather give the money to the professional, but that means no amateur will ever get experience, because they would require experience to GAIN experience.

Return to posts index

David G. Merfeld
on Sep 27, 2008 at 6:15:28 am

I have some price structures that seem to work. In corporate world asking 95-150 per hour is very reasonable but we lump that in a 1/2 day and full day rate. Me, Camera, Wireless, Stock is extra.
Non Profits I price differently 50-85 per hour but its again 1/2 day and full day. I work with other production companies in town under their name. they give me 2-5 gigs a week and it is pretty regular I 35-50 per day if they pay on time and they are not an ass to work for. If they are dicks I tend to ask 75 per hour 1/2 day and full day
I do agree 1/2 day and full day rates are the way to go in the corporate world.

I tend to charge a little more for the 1/2 day because of the missed opportunities on the other 1/2 day.

I am a FCP 6.0 user G-5

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]