FORUMS: list search recent posts

What'e the best HD Camera for Weddings

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael MurrayWhat'e the best HD Camera for Weddings
by on Jun 22, 2008 at 5:19:30 pm

I have a PD 170 and want to get a camera that shoots HD but is decent in low light (I know nothing will beat my 170) but also event friendly. Like easy to change light settings, etc.... Does anyone have a problem shooting weddings with the Panasonic HVX 200A? Which is supposed to be better in low light? I'm ready to buy...

Thank you fellow moo sayers!

Mike Murray
Summer Wind Pictures

Return to posts index

Don GreeningRe: What'e the best HD Camera for Weddings
by on Jun 22, 2008 at 5:50:11 pm

The only handheld HD camera that compares to the PD170 is the Sony PMW EX1. The EX actually beats the PD170 by a noticeable margin. I know this for a fact because I have both of these cameras.

- Don

Return to posts index

Michael MurrayRe: What'e the best HD Camera for Weddings
by on Jun 23, 2008 at 4:05:44 pm

How about the HVX 200A, run and gun as well?

Michael Murray
Summer Wind Productions

Return to posts index

Rick DolishnyRe: What'e the best HD Camera for Weddings
by on Aug 22, 2008 at 3:00:13 am

The 200 is a big, bulky camera and for weddings you'll want a Firestore which adds considerable bulk and weight. I'm not a huge fan, and even though as an EDITOR I don't like what Sony has done with the EX1 in terms of how it plays with FCP (sort of well) and Avid (not at all), the images that camera captures are stunning.

This camera has its caveats of course but the picture quality is stunning for the price. Plus you can swap SXS cards (Sony's P2 format) on the fly. It's off balance making hand held shooting a challenge (use two hands) and the menu system will take work.

But overall a perfect choice for a wedding.

Rick Dolishny
Discrete Editors COW Leader

Return to posts index

Dave MessingerRe: What'e the best HD Camera for Weddings
by on Feb 3, 2009 at 4:31:53 am

I know a lot has been said about HD not being that great in low light(but getting better with newer models), and have heard it said that the Sony's seeming have been rumored as being somewhat better in low light (I forget which model) - but I got a Canon A1 (not the A1s) ($2900 - B&H) - and I was really amazed at how well it did in low light - much better than I thought based on what I had read about HD cameras. So I think you really got to get one in your hands and judge it yourself - although I am sure there must be some comparisons displayed somewhere out there in ciber space.

Dave Messinger

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved