FORUMS: list search recent posts

Music for website

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Beau BrothertonMusic for website
by on May 12, 2008 at 3:16:32 pm

Hello to all,

I did a search, and this topic hasn't been brought up since last July, actually by myself :)

I haven't been able to fully build my wedding video business, I got too busy freelancing as an editor. But it is looking like I'm about to have some extra time so I am about to build my website.

I had recently asked the question of using music for the actual wedding video to be delivered. I pretty much got a response of, "well it's documenting a private event and to be viewed privately. (not for broadcast)" Or, a person from Australia mentioned that he pays $400 or so annually to be completely legit, even on his website.

Well, here I am again. I am fully OK with rolling the dice and assuming that I'm just a one man production company and that the Beetles aren't going to come after me for a a wedding video that I did. But I'm not so comfortable putting well known music on my website. Call me paranoid. I know that there is royalty free music, but let's face it, it all sucks compared to an awesome love/rock song of "If You Could Only See" by Tonic for a highlight video or ANY Outkast song for the reception.

I have some great highlight video that I really want to show brides on my website, that really showcase my style. And I can only do that with good music. I've looked at other websites, some people have well known music (a lot of Shania Twain :/) and some have what sounds like the royalty free elevator music.

What is everyone out there in the COW doing? Does any one actually purchase, like the person from Australia (sorry I don't know your name), a license to use a bulk of music in the US. Are you just not caring and using it anyway?

I look forward to your responses. Thanks a bunch.

Beau Brotherton
Macbook Pro 2.4GHz, Intel Core 2Duo, 4GB

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: Music for website
by on May 12, 2008 at 3:44:21 pm

This 'use of music' thread gets brought up by someone every 6 months or so.

You can search the archives if you want to, but here's the short version:

1) None of this stuff (copywritten music on DVDs, websites, etc) is legal.

2) Many, many (many) people feel comfortable doing it anyway and get away with it.

That's pretty much it. It's been debated forever in what seems like hundreds of posts, but it all comes down to that.

Some people are comfortable with it and some aren't. All we can do is provide the facts. Past that, it's up to the individual to decide what to do.

(I think most of the time the long threads come about because people are trying to convince themselves that #1 isn't true. It is true, and realizing that makes the answer pretty short!)

Return to posts index

Matte BlumeRe: Music for website
by on May 12, 2008 at 11:46:40 pm

Another difference-

The owners of sites posting their videos with "elevator music" can sleep comfortably knowing that they won't be getting a phone call from Shania Twain's lawyers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved