FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using an Ipod as a Mic

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris BryanUsing an Ipod as a Mic
by on Apr 28, 2008 at 6:56:55 pm

Hello,

I'm interested in using an ipod as a lapel mic for the groom and another one to get readings at the ceremony and reception. I've seen lots of posts about using the iRiver to do this, but nothing on using an ipod. Does anyone do this? It seems like using the new clip-on shuffle would be a nifty way of capturing the audio, and its so small that the groom would not be bothered by it.

Any advice is appreciated,
Chris

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: Using an Ipod as a Mic
by on Apr 29, 2008 at 5:30:05 am

[Chris Bryan] "It seems like using the new clip-on shuffle would be a nifty way of capturing the audio, and its so small that the groom would not be bothered by it. "

The iPod Shuffle cannot record audio. There are mic attachments for the iPod Classic, but I do not know if any of them have a connection to attach a lav mic to it, nor do I know what type of quality you get from onto an iPod.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

Chris BryanRe: Using an Ipod as a Mic
by on Apr 29, 2008 at 1:55:04 pm

You're right, thanks for the tip!

I just got back from a quick visit to B&H and was told the same thing, the shuffle is the only iPod that you can't record audio to. I was shown a Belkin attachment that has a mic input that you can then attach a Lavalier to.

I asked about a wireless Lavalier setup and was told that I could get one for $200, but that it would be susceptible to noise getting through the frequency. For a reliable setup they recommended that I go with a $500 mic setup. That's a little cost prohibitive for me so I think I'll go with the iPod unless someone here has a reason not to.

Return to posts index

Kevin DearingRe: Using an Ipod as a Mic
by on May 1, 2008 at 10:28:44 pm

I just picked up three wireless lav's UHF - dual diversity on eBay for roughly $300. Just make sure the seller has good feedback and that the units have been serviced regularly if they are older but I saw a lot of stuff on there that were used once or twice (reportedly). I'm very happy with my on a budget gear!

--KTFA

Return to posts index

George BurbanoRe: Using an Ipod as a Mic
by on May 5, 2008 at 1:31:10 am

Hey Chris,

You can rent these units rather affordably in the city, since you mentioned B&H. There are several rental houses, in NY that will rent you, lectronics or sennheiser, Evo or G2 setup.

If you need to find a place, email me, Im constantly in these places in the city.

Stay away from some of the cheaper units, the least expensive and high quality ones would be the Senn G2, They are around $500, the lectronics can be over $1200 depending on the setup..

George

Return to posts index

Steve EisenRe: Using an Ipod as a Mic
by on May 7, 2008 at 2:17:04 am

$500 is a little cost prohibitive to you. You are recording a once in a lifetime event. You only have one chance to get it right. You already admitting to messing it up in a previous post. My advise is to do things the right way not the CHEAP way. Your clients are expecting a professional product. Give it to them.

A quality video includes great sound, great lighting and great shot composition.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Board of Directors
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

by on May 7, 2008 at 3:33:27 am

Hi Steve,

I'm afraid that I have to respectfully disagree with your comments. I feel bad that the groom didn't turn on his microphone, however, I don't feel that it is my fault and I certainly didn't admit to "messing it up" I told him the situation with the recorder, he indicated to me that he was not comfortable being recorded prior to the ceremony and he forgot to turn the mic on. So now his wedding video will have the vows from the two back up shotgun mics that I had.

In my opinion I did do it the right way. The wrong way would have been to have no backups for the forgotten microphone. In the future I will pressure the groom more to turn the microphone on right away, but ultimately its their wedding, their video and their decision.

$500 is not in my budget, so I turned to these forums for advice on what other options there are. There are many others in these forums who have opted to use a digital audio recorder, I guess they are all cheap also.

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: Using an Ipod as a Mic
by on May 7, 2008 at 4:30:48 am

[Chris Bryan] "I feel bad that the groom didn't turn on his microphone, however, I don't feel that it is my fault and I certainly didn't admit to "messing it up""

Look at it this way, you are the one being payed to capture the event. Sure you asked the groom to turn it on, but how you can expect some one to remember to do that on there own wedding day, possibly the busiest day of his life, I do not know. His head is going to be spinning like crazy the whole day, and it only will get worse as it gets closer to the ceremony.

You interesting him to do that makes it your fault. Remember they payed you to insure that the event was captured. Your lack of judgment and placing your trust in the groom does make it your fault.

There are two people that you can trust even less then the groom on the wedding day, and that is the bride and the brides mother.

If you don't feel that you can afford to purchase a wireless lav mike then just rent one. You can rent them for like $35 a day. You simply add that into the cost of the video. And $35 more on a wedding video is not going to make or break any deal.

There are no "technical solutions" to your "artistic problems".
Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

by on May 7, 2008 at 2:21:56 pm

Hello everyone and thanks for your advice!

I never intended for this thread to turn into a rather pointless blame game that really offers no value to any other readers of this forum.

For those interested, I purchased a great little Sony Audio Recorder and a lavalier mic. It records great audio and plugs directly into computer via usb to transfer the audio over. I like this system, because in my opinion - besides forgetting to turn it on - it eliminates some room for error that exists in a wireless unit. I've spoken to many videographers who use this system to record audio, and for me its the way to go.

I've learned many lessons from this experience and am moving forward.

Return to posts index

ben oliverRe: Using an Ipod as a Mic
by on May 7, 2008 at 4:31:46 pm

a once in a lifetime event? weddings can be great for repeat business...

its funny how no one records and shoots divorces, I think that would be fun, and worth the rental on some good microphones.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]