FORUMS: list search recent posts

24p / 30i / 30p?

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Bryan
24p / 30i / 30p?
on Apr 28, 2008 at 6:54:26 pm

Hello all,

Quick question here, what does everyone recommend for shooting a wedding? 24p, 30i or 30p?

I know that 24p takes a steady hand and a little extra effort with lighting to look good. So if I decide to go with 30 frames, what do people recommend? Interlaced or progressive?

Thanks
Chris

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: 24p / 30i / 30p?
on Apr 29, 2008 at 6:47:45 am

[Chris Bryan] "So if I decide to go with 30 frames, what do people recommend? Interlaced or progressive? "

It all depends on what lighting you have available because your camera's progressive mode will require more light to get the same shot as interlaced does. Shooting interlaced will give you slightly more low light latitude to work with, and sometimes that little bit is all you need to make the difference in the final shot.

But in a perfect world I'll shoot 30p every time. Progressive looks better on LCD and plasma televisions which is what's for sale these days. Ultimately, what you'll be watching your final product on determines how you shoot and with what settings.

- Don

Return to posts index

Chris Bryan
on Apr 29, 2008 at 1:57:02 pm

That's a great point about the low light situation when using progressive. I neglected to think about that. However, most people are watching these things on plasma tvs, or their computers.

What's the reasoning for going with 30p vs. 24p?

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
on Apr 29, 2008 at 3:00:43 pm

>>What's the reasoning for going with 30p vs. 24p?<<

24p is just a different look. I do it on all my weddings now, but I don't suggest it for everyone. It's harder to make it look good and there are more rules of 'things to avoid' when shooting.

Add to that, some brides just don't prefer the look. I offer it for those that do, but there needs to be people out there to sell to the ones that don't. I like 24p but I've never been one to argue that it's better for everything or everyone.

But when you can get 24p right, it looks really fantastic. It's not so much a technical reason, but just the fact that people are used to seeing 24 fps in Hollywood movies. It's familiar and just feels right. It has to be done well, though, for this feeling to take hold.

As for another example, I shoot a Nutcracker ballet performance every year. I've been shooting with PD-170s at 60i. This year I shot on 24p HD and the difference was fantastic. And I'm not talking about the resolution. It was the frame rate that made the difference. I was a little worried about the motion blur of the dancers so I shot a dress rehersal and showed the footage to the studio heads before the real shoot. They liked it so we went ahead and did it. I'm glad we did, I was very happy with the results.

I'll see if I can put up a quicktime sample of the last 2 shows later tonight. Comparing them really shows the difference between the 2 looks, since it's the same show with the same sets and the same lighting.

I'll post back once that's up.

Return to posts index

Chris Bryan
on Apr 29, 2008 at 3:39:30 pm

Thanks great advice!

I think I'll start with 30. Do I have to worry about motion blur with 30p? Or will I be fine?

I'm going to have to go out and do some testing this week to see which results I like best.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Apr 29, 2008 at 10:46:38 pm

[Chris Bryan] "I think I'll start with 30. Do I have to worry about motion blur with 30p? Or will I be fine?"

Yeah, you'll get some motion blur with 30p because you'll be working with half the temporal resolution that 60i has. Think of panning with your subject of interest using a still camera at a low shutter speed. The subject will remain in focus and clear but with a blurry background. Depending on what you want the motion blur can be something that's desirable to help achieve a film look. You'll be the best judge of what looks good by doing some tests on your own. The test results will determine what camera settings to use.

- Don

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
Video Posted
on Apr 30, 2008 at 4:26:51 am

Ok, I put up a side-by-side Quicktime file showing normal 29.97 DV next to 24p HDV. Ignore the resolution difference and just look at the motion. The 24p files are a little softer and not as crisp in the motion of the dancers.

It's not as obvious on a web site, it's much more noticeable on DVD. But you can still see the difference.

http://www.redfeathervideo.com/24

Also look here for wedding samples shot in 24p:

http://www.redfeathervideo.com/weddings/samples.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]