FORUMS: list search recent posts

Videoing sporting events

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mark greenleesVideoing sporting events
by on Apr 8, 2008 at 4:03:23 pm

Hi,

I have just had someone asking me about videoing a series of Lacrosse and Soccer videos. He mentioned that he had been to a few games and seen the footage done from a very tall tripod (16' he said?) with a remote control and monitor to follow the action. Apparently, it would all be filmed wide to show he positions of all the team players. Has anyone out there done this sort of work and can anyone please advise me about this tripod and remote control "thing" he talks about. Also any other recomendations and advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: Videoing sporting events
by on Apr 8, 2008 at 5:37:54 pm

Don't know about the equipment, but for this type of video (college recruitment, maybe?) the best advice I can give is that the important part isn't so much what they target player is doing with the ball, but how they interact with the rest of the team.

Keep that in mind and you'll have a much better idea of what your framing should be. Generally it's something like 40% of the playing field at all times, but by knowing what you're really looking to capture you can do a better job of adjusting the shot as it needs to be.

Return to posts index

mark greenleesRe: Videoing sporting events
by on Apr 8, 2008 at 6:44:43 pm

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your response! Yes you're right, a big part of it will be for college recruitment. I will definately keep your advice in mind.

Thanks again
Mark

Return to posts index

Mick HaenslerRe: Videoing sporting events
by on Apr 9, 2008 at 1:49:32 pm

[Jeff Carpenter] "Generally it's something like 40% of the playing field at all times,"

I have to disagree here. I've done many recruitment and scholarship videos and thus have talked to several coaches about what they look for. First of all, most coaches are bombarded with recruitment videos and most are done poorly and end up getting trashed after the first :30. You have to capture their attention immediately. For lacrosse, most coaches want to see a combination of shots, close ups, mid field, stick work, player interaction etc. We produce short, no more than 3 minute productions. We hit 'em hard in the beginning with a fast 1 minute montage set to a hard hitting soundtrack. We follow that up with a short player interview and a coach interview. And finally a stats page and a contact page including coach contact info if he/she is OK with that. We charge a premium and have a very good success rate.

No offense to the original poster, but the thread title tells me you are not an experienced videographer. I don't know anyone with experience who refers to their craft as "videoing". Secondly you refer to the remote control rig as a "remote control thing". Again pointing to your inexperience. Keep in mind, if this is for a scholarship or recruitment, you have the future of a young man or woman in your hands. If you don't have experience doing this sort of thing, you can do more harm than good. Using a remote rig for this type of shooting is shear suicide. Most remote camera units, unless they are very expensive, cannot react fast enough to catch the action of a sport like lacrosse. Maybe curling, but not lacrosse.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: Videoing sporting events
by on Apr 9, 2008 at 4:45:33 pm

I guess the main point here is to talk with the client about their needs. I've mostly done this sort of thing for basketball team captains. In their cases, it's their direction of the other players and command of the team that is noteworthy. The fact that they can pass and dribble the ball is a total non-issue for them so close ups don't matter.

But I could see how different positions would have different things that were important. I guess it really can be different every time.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 9, 2008 at 9:53:08 pm

[Jeff Carpenter] "I guess it really can be different every time. "

That's my take Jeff. I only know lacrosse, soccer, and field hockey. I don't do basketball as I'm not familiar enough with the sport and don't feel like I could do a good job. I try to stick with what I know, that way I can charge a good rate and know I've done the player justice.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Videoing sporting events
by on Apr 10, 2008 at 8:14:10 pm

I've seen the gizmo you asked about, got a demo DVD of it here. Its called Hi-Pod, you can google it, and it looks pretty nice for specialty shooting situations. It is a telescoping monopod with remote monitor and control handles for the tilt (you pan by turning the unit) and LANC controls for camera start/stop and zoom. Overpriced for most unless you rent it out to people, or are always doing parades, big high establishing shots of car lots, parades, and field sports.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Videoing sporting events
by on Apr 10, 2008 at 8:21:16 pm

I forgot to say, I think a crafty person could make a similar rig using PVC pipe, but it would not be as still as the metal hi-pod, and so it would tend to sway. And wht would you do for monitoring and control?

I did once place a lipstick cam on the end of 20 feet of pvc pipe, and that got me a lot of very nice and interesting high-angle, fixed-lens shots achieveable no other way. The tiny lipstick cam did not load up the pipe too much, it bent a little, but didn't sway too badly as it might under the heavier load of even a palmcorder.

If your athletic field has bleachers that don't wobble, just a long lens from there might be enough. But I have to admit, the hipod is very cool for the very specific situations it is designed for.

Return to posts index

Brennan WrightRe: Videoing sporting events
by on Apr 11, 2008 at 3:39:53 am

My high school has a Hi Pod and I have to say that the shots are rock steady. The only downside is that the rig is outright HEAVY!

Reel

Return to posts index

by on Apr 11, 2008 at 5:13:40 pm

Responding to Mr. Haensler reply -"No offense to the original poster, but the thread title tells me you are not an experienced videographer. I don't know anyone with experience who refers to their craft as "videoing". Secondly you refer to the remote control rig as a "remote control thing". Again pointing to your inexperience. Keep in mind, if this is for a scholarship or recruitment, you have the future of a young man or woman in your hands".

This is the first time I've posted on this forum and my
"remote thing" comment was my light hearted way of trying to be a little humble. "No offence - but"... your comments in the first paragraph were helpful and I thank you for that. I will not even bother to "defend" myself against your repeated "inexperienced" comments and "videoing" comment other than to repeat the word - HUMBLE. You may want to keep that word in mind, when next relating your superior expertise in the realm of "filming/cinematography".

Thanks for everyones help!
Mark

Return to posts index

by on Apr 13, 2008 at 12:03:16 am

[mark greenlees] "This is the first time I've posted on this forum and my
"remote thing" comment was my light hearted way of trying to be a little humble. "No offence - but"... your comments in the first paragraph were helpful and I thank you for that. I will not even bother to "defend" myself against your repeated "inexperienced" comments and "videoing" comment other than to repeat the word - HUMBLE. You may want to keep that word in mind, when next relating your superior expertise in the realm of "filming/cinematography"."

You're right Mark and I apologize. It was rude and offensive. I had just finished trying to salvage a job I had subbed out to a so called professional videographer who didn't know his butt from a whole in the ground. It cost me many hours of reconstructive surgery and could have cost me thousands of dollars and a bad word on the street with my name on it. I took my frustrations out on you and that was unfair.

I know I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder when it comes to event videographers. I could go into the many reasons why but that would end up being an essay or short book. I'm working on it Mark. I should probably just stay out of this particular forum until such a time as this chip no longer makes me look and act like the Hunchback of Notre Dame. Once again, I'm sorry for my bad attitude and snide remarks.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

by on Apr 13, 2008 at 4:15:30 am

Thank you Mick, apology accepted, along with my respect for you in the effort you made to explain yourself. In an attempt to explain myself :

I am in fact, not an event videographer, although I've shot and do shoot weddings and such ( BTW, I've met many talented individuals in that field). Neither am I corporate or industrial videographer- although I have done both. I shot underwater videos for many years, but don't label myself an underwater videographer. I've "filmed" for Oprah, A&E, Discovery Health and The Food Network, written and produced a couple of short documentaries and worked with some very well known Hollywood actors - yet, the only "label" I give myself is that of videographer. Times change, circumstances change and like a lot of us in this business, I find I need to adapt and hopefully learn different avenues of the business in order to pay the mortgage. The lacrosse video "thing" was just suggested to me early this week and today I filmed my very first two games. I can now see why a professional such as yourself is able to charge a premium for your services. It certainly is a skill that no doubt takes a while to perfect. It is totally new to me and any advice is so welcome.

Thanks again for your post Mick, I really appreciated it. I hope you can soon sort out the problems you been having with your video project.

Cheers!
Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]