FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony EX1 and Z1U

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alec gitelman
Sony EX1 and Z1U
on Mar 31, 2008 at 4:05:14 am

Hi,

I am planning to "go into business" of shooting and editing weddings and events. I am thinking of purchasing an EX1 to use as my A camera and hiring a videographer who owns or rents a Z1U for B camera.

My question is, how hard do you think it will be to match up the footage in post? Has anyone had any experience with mixing the codecs, and more importantly, how different is the picture (color, grain, etc.)?

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
Re: Sony EX1 and Z1U
on Apr 2, 2008 at 8:37:14 pm

My guess is, if you are doing mostly outdoor events, and you shoot in SP mode (HDV) on the EX, you can get away with it. Indoors, such as in a church, I don't think you will get a very good match.

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Apr 4, 2008 at 3:53:10 pm

I own both and would have to advise against either as an event camera. The Z1 is not very good in low light and the expense of the SxS cards for the EX would make it cost prohibitive for someone just starting out charging newbie prices. 4 hours of storage will add $3000 to the price of the camera. Also, to get great images on the EX, extensive knowledge of Picture Profile settings is essential. Not something I would recommend for a beginner. Save yourself a lot of dough and headaches and get a couple VX's or PD's. You can buy 3 VX's for the price of one EX and will be able to produce very acceptable images for the event market.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

alec gitelman
on Apr 7, 2008 at 3:10:58 pm

Mick,

Thank you for the advice. Maybe I was not clear in my post.

I do have experience working with cameras. I've owned a DVX-100A for years and want to step up to HD and tapeless workflow. I know the EX1 is not a great event camera, if I were just going for that market I wouldn't be purchasing it. It's primary purpose is commercials, documentaries, etc... However, I can make the blow of purchasing a what amounts to a 10K camera with cards easier by doing events. And I'm no fan of the Z1 at all, but it's widely available. (Btw., don't understand why all the rental shops in NY have the Sony, sometimes the JVC HDV, but practically never any of the Canons.)

So, since you own both, maybe you'll know the answer about mixing. I work in FCP 6 primarily. Does it matter if B camera is a Sony? I'd imagine it mixing better than another manufacturer's camera but maybe since they're two different lines it makes no difference? Does it even work at all?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Apr 7, 2008 at 6:44:58 pm

[alec gitelman] "So, since you own both, maybe you'll know the answer about mixing. I work in FCP 6 primarily. Does it matter if B camera is a Sony? I'd imagine it mixing better than another manufacturer's camera but maybe since they're two different lines it makes no difference? Does it even work at all?
"

Great question!! Oh and sorry for assuming you are a newbie.

Camera manufacturer shouldn't make a difference in mixing formats at all. It's more a question of mixing codecs IMO. I've never mixed EX footage with Z1, but I've got a little time this week and I'll try and do some experimenting. Kinda need to do that anyhow as I have a project coming up that will require this.

Since your not a newb than I would definitely suggest the EX for what you're going to be doing. You'll be stunned by the imagery. You might try posting this question on the XDCAM forum too, lotta guys with more smarts than me.

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]