FORUMS: list search recent posts

salt creep on underwater cam attempt/cleaning

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Mikullasalt creep on underwater cam attempt/cleaning
by on Mar 7, 2008 at 2:10:39 pm

I tried to use an underwater bag/housing and it failed. About 100ml of sea water seeped into the bag. The SonyDCR-TRV140 now works after two weeks of drying out! There is slight corrosion in some of the ports . How do you suggest I clean the cam ?
Thanks, Dean

Return to posts index

Rennie KlymykRe: salt creep on underwater cam attempt/cleaning
by on Mar 8, 2008 at 12:34:42 am

Ebay.

...just kidding here! that would be too mean. I'm not sure the value of the cam but either send it in to a service center or if you do it yourself clean the heads and tape path with alcohol and q-tips. DO NOT drag a q-tip up and down over the heads, you must only wipe in the direction as the tape travels and very gently. Use only 99% isopropanol alcohol and not the 75% junk. Clean any other deposits with cotton soaked in the alcohol as well.

"everything is broken" ......Bob Dylan

Return to posts index

Dean MikullaRe: salt creep on underwater cam attempt/cleaning
by on Mar 8, 2008 at 9:24:04 am

Its not worth any thing, I was gonna throw it away, but I tried one more time to see if it worked and.... I think its just the battery terminals!
Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

by on Mar 8, 2008 at 8:31:35 pm

Cool, I've had similar experiences and it's surprising what some electronics can take. One of the worst dangers is getting water into the lens elements and leaving a film. I wouldn't want to try to fix that. Good luck with it.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 8, 2008 at 10:40:22 pm

Ya , I returned the bag/housing for my money back. But the 30 seconds of footage that I can now look at , looks really nice! It was that 99 dollar bog/housing that B&H carry. I wonder what I did wrong to let that small amount of water in? I even checked it in the sink first.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 8, 2008 at 11:40:00 pm

Was this an EWA Marine bag? I've used a lot of their bags with good results for what they are. There's nothing like a proper dedicated housing for underwater though.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 9, 2008 at 12:08:38 am

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/400208-REG/Aquapac_AQUA461_Waterproof...

If wouldnt have leaked, I'd say it was a good pruduct, i just don't see how I could've done anything wrong.

Return to posts index

by on Mar 9, 2008 at 1:55:56 am

The Ewa marine are triple the price but they have an optical glass front lens and a clear plastic window at the back for a viewfinder view. They are also moulded so the main buttons are workable.

Looking at the photo I can't see that it has an optical glass for the camera lens to see out of. Their description seems to defame the Ewa Marine screw system to seal it. Their twist lock sounds better in theory but if it leaks then it's a loser. Maybe you should post a review at B&H.

I can't see user error coming into account here either unless some sand of what ever got caught in the sealing surface.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]