FORUMS: list search recent posts

First Wedding

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ta Neil AdamsFirst Wedding
by on Feb 29, 2008 at 7:44:50 am

I'm doing my first wedding(s). The first lady wants just footage for 3.5 hours. She wants the morning shoot which is three and a half hours and a reception with certain shoots. I'd be traveling from Bellevue WA to Seattle WA, with about a five to six hour wait inbetween. They want to edit themselves of course. For an average price I quoted her $500. I asked her about wireless mics even though I'm not sure how to put that part together.
I'm using the Canon XL-l with no adapter.
A more poignant question is, how do I go about using the wireless mics for a wedding?

Return to posts index

michael schockerRe: First Wedding
by on Mar 1, 2008 at 1:59:38 am

If I were you I would get 2 wireless mics and mic the pastor and the groom. If you only have one mic pick one.
Just make sure you have it turned up enough to pick up all the people. It's better to turn down in post then turn up.

$500 would be a good price if you weren't having to travel.

Just my 2 cents.

Return to posts index

George BurbanoRe: First Wedding
by on Mar 1, 2008 at 11:10:14 pm

Set up a lav mike on the groom. He would be the closest to the bride, and close enough to the groom. That would pick up the important voices. Leave your other channel for ambient, try and use a good shotgun to pick up the ambient front sound. Set both levels carefully, and monitor your audio thru a good headset. Always start with fresh batteries. I typically use, Sennheiser E-100 lav trans.rec unit, channel 1, and channel 2, a sennheiser mk-66 mike on camera. The audio quality is very good.

Good luck.

Return to posts index

Todd RoushRe: First Wedding
by on Mar 2, 2008 at 7:14:55 am

Get yourself a second camera if at all possible. I would never even consider shooting a wedding w/one camera. Also, make sure you get a GOOD wireless. Sennheiser Evolution 100 is a good mic at a reasonable price and for $600 you can get one with both a lav and a transmitter that will go on any mic with an XLR.

Go to for some good advice about shooting weddings. You don't want to be the guy who ruined somebody's wedding video. This is very important stuff.

Good luck.

Todd Roush
Dreamscape Digital Media
Panny DVX-100's but changing so Sony or Cannon HDV soon.

Return to posts index

Ta Neil AdamsRe: First Wedding
by on Mar 2, 2008 at 8:55:57 pm

Thank you for the info. After looking at the site articles I'm just not prepared enough to take this on. I have the software, camera, pc components. I'm trying to find another camera person in my area but no luck yet. Oh well, I can wait.
By the way, if you edit the video and transfer to dvd what is a low budget but clean way to label it.

Return to posts index

Michael SchockerRe: First Wedding
by on Mar 2, 2008 at 9:17:19 pm

I went a bought the Memorex labeling kit.
It has a lot of labels to start with.
It also comes with software and the "stomper"
I bought mine for about $30

If you have 2 cameras why not try it. I will be shooting a 3 camera wedding by myself.
You just need to make sure the static/wide camera is in the right place and you can rove with the other.
That's what I'm going to do.
What do you think???

By the way, this will be my first wedding also.

Return to posts index

Ta Neil AdamsRe: First Wedding
by on Mar 3, 2008 at 2:04:05 am

I think that's pretty advanced. Though I do know some who have successfully used just one camera. I think once I get the mics I'll be O.K.
There's not much really to take of a wedding. 3 cams is a large order. A friend of mine shot the bride/groom getting ready, scenic, church, and then the guests as they were coming in. Then he set up the bride/groom and adjusted focal distance.
Why may I ask do you use three cameras?

Return to posts index

Zane BarkerRe: First Wedding
by on Mar 3, 2008 at 5:59:53 am

[Ta Neil Adams] "Why may I ask do you use three cameras?"

Better options in editing, it is overall more interesting to watch in the end.

Renting mics and additional cameras is a GOOD way to go, just make sure you add the price of all your rented equipment into what you are charging.

Don't let technology get in the way of your creativity!

Return to posts index

by on Mar 3, 2008 at 6:25:44 pm

Because it gives you a variety of shots to cut from when editing.
I would never shoot a wedding with only 1 camera.
Imagine watching a 30min wedding from 1 camera angle. BORING!
If you have 2 cameras, you can set one as a wide shot and you can move with the other one.

Return to posts index

Tom KleinRe: First Wedding
by on Mar 5, 2008 at 7:48:01 am

Hi Tar Neil
If this is your first attempt at a wedding go with one camera, also you should have worked with a wedding videographer a few times prior to taking on the challenge. If you mess up you'll want to find a very dark corner to hide from the bride.
Good Luck
Tom K

Return to posts index

by on Mar 5, 2008 at 1:20:28 pm

That's why I would go with 2 cameras.
As long as the 2nd camera is positioned (and never moved) you should have at least 1 good wide shot.
Another must is attend the wedding rehearsal.
I would take a camera with you and see what the camera sees.
This will help a lot. Plus, you will know what is happening next during the wedding.

Return to posts index

Crystal J. MeisnerRe: First Wedding
by on Mar 5, 2008 at 9:15:44 pm

Why use 3 cameras?
1: Wide shot - make sure it's elevated to shoot over heads when the crowd stands, and it's placed where no one will bump it. Audio - House feed, ch.1, ambient ch.2
2: Behind the minister/OTS (that's 'over-the-shoulder') - Gets nice shot of Bride & Groom, plus Best Man & M-of Honor, AND parents reaction. Hide it behind flowers or find an inconspicuous spot. Audio - shotgun, ch.1, ambient ch.2
3: Side shot - Shoot the bride - it's HER day. She spends WAY more in prep than does the groom, and wants it all seen. BE SURE TO LEAD HER DOWN THE AISLE.
Audio - shotgun, ch.1, ambient ch.2
This ensures you've got all the shots, plus plenty of audio.
SECONDLY - Do you know these people? Are you doing this at a cut rate as a gift? If not, they'll need to pay your REASONABLE travel expenses: $0.485/mile driven, or rental car costs, hotel for overnight - YES! you DO want to be at rehearsal - and per diem. If they've got a hotel for out-of-town guests, have them put you up there. They should also consider having you eat with them at rehearsal dinner, so you can familiarize yourself with them and their guests' personalities. There's nothing worse than shooting blind and missing what's most important to them in terms of people.
Just make sure that what you charge is adequate for your time and expenses.

Return to posts index

Stuart AllmanRe: First Wedding
by on Mar 3, 2008 at 6:07:54 pm

Labelling disks?

One word - lightscribe.

The lightscribe technology allows you to permanently label disks using the laser on your DVD drive. You have to have a lightscribe drive, media, and software. The downside is that the labels are monochrome, but verbatim sells pre-colored disks so you can at least do two-tone. The upside is that there's no sticky label to come off or inkjet printing to rub off/fade in sunlight.

You can use any bmp/jpeg image for the label.

I recommend staying away from HP media because the contrast is very poor, but memorex and verbatim seem to do a decent job (especially Memorex).

Return to posts index

Jennifer KingstonRe: First Wedding
by on Mar 5, 2008 at 6:35:41 am

OR, if you want a really slick, professional looking disc, go to Staples and grab a little Epson printer that prints directly onto disc, as well as paper. For much less than a light scribe (my Epson printer was $89) you can have a great looking dvd in full color at minimal cost. It even comes with the software to create the labels using any graphics you have on your drive. I was getting the printable discs at Costco for a while. Beats those sticky, thick labels that won't play in some players.

Return to posts index

Stuart AllmanRe: First Wedding
by on Mar 5, 2008 at 5:04:52 pm

The CD printers work good, look great, but aren't durable worth squat. If you get a drop of water on the label side of the disk the ink tends to wash right off. The sticky labels tend to be the worst option. I completely agree with you there.

It really depends on if you want the disk to be durable. Burned DVD's are only good for about 10 years anyway, so it may or may not matter depending on your clients.

Return to posts index

Post removed.

Peter WuRe: First Wedding
by on Apr 11, 2008 at 4:31:18 pm

The best way to label DVD is to

(1) buy an Epson R280 printer (or other R series) that prints DVD/CD directly

(2) Taiyo Yuden Watershield hub printable DVD-R. They have shinny surface and is water resistant. The resulting label looks like a glossy photo. I put drops of water on the surface and wiped with a tissue. No smear and no color come off, although that area is no longer glossy (tissue scratch marks).

Canon's pixima printers can also print DVD, but you have to buy a DVD tray from a foreign country or possibly ebay.

Return to posts index

Todd RoushRe: First Wedding
by on Mar 6, 2008 at 6:23:18 am

PS, give them a coupon for 25% off their second wedding.

Todd Roush
Dreamscape Digital Media
Panny DVX-100's but changing so Sony or Cannon HDV soon.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved