FORUMS: list search recent posts

By the piece dance recital pricing

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roy SchneiderBy the piece dance recital pricing
by on Feb 4, 2008 at 7:58:35 pm

Hi All:
I just started doing Dance Recital projects for a family friend. She did not want the whole recital on anyones DVD, just the dances they were in. It was a long project as you can imagine. We charged each student by the Dances on their DVD.

I was just wondering how others in this field charge for these types of projects? Are you charging an upfront fee? Are you giving a percentage back?

Thank you for your input and thoughts.
Roy

Return to posts index

Jim DavisRe: By the piece dance recital pricing
by on Feb 5, 2008 at 2:01:59 pm

I do a ballet recital each spring for a local studio. The DVD contains the entire recital but I put chapter marks at the beginning of each dance so they can quickly locate themselves if desired. I charge $18 each (60-70 DVDs) supplied to the studio. I think she then marks it up a few dollars when she sells them. Note that this is a side job for me. If it was my main income I'd probably have to charge more than that.

-Jim

Return to posts index

Thax ClaveRe: By the piece dance recital pricing
by on Feb 5, 2008 at 2:16:21 pm

[Roy Schneider] "We charged each student by the Dances on their DVD.
"

The problem is that you must do CUSTOM work for each DVD, but only charge a "generic" price to make it affordable.

I also suggest the "all-on-one" DVD with chapter markers.

Each student will have MORE on his DVD ("added value") and you don't have to do as much "Custom work' for the same amount of income per DVD.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: By the piece dance recital pricing
by on Feb 5, 2008 at 4:34:09 pm

Jim's method makes the most sense to me. You only have to make one DVD and one menu and one set of chapter marks. For the small amount of money paid, this is the only answer that makes business sense.

I also like what Jim did for payment: make a complete batch, get paid in total, once, by the studio up front, and let THEM worry about collections and piracy.

Back in the dark ages I dabbled in these, and even in the days of VHS Vs. Betamax, there were people that would pirate such a recital tape: two or three moms would collude to buy a single copy and then "share" dubs with each other. To avoid me having to police this or to take a loss on selling only five orders to a group of 50 families, I put a mom of one of the dancers in charge of orders. She used the gossip and shame network to curtail aspirations of piracy, and we added the caveat that unless she got advance orders and payment from a given number of families, nobody but her would get a single copy. That was a significant factor.

She sold out the first weekend. I got my full amount up front. Nobody dared pirate a copy.

Return to posts index

Roy SchneiderRe: By the piece dance recital pricing
by on Feb 5, 2008 at 7:44:30 pm

Thanks for all your input. I want to start marketing this service to a few studios, so your advice is very helpful. The owner of this studio did not want all her choreography out there on 1 dvd. Because the DVD's are custom we had to charge a bit more $30.00 for 1 number, $50 for 2. It worked well for this show, but I needed other options for marketing to other studios.
Thanks again.
Roy

Roy Schneider
Long Live Da Cow!

Return to posts index

by on Feb 6, 2008 at 4:10:12 am

[Roy Schneider] "The owner of this studio did not want all her choreography out there on 1 dvd. "

Are you serious?

(The dance spies are everywhere!)

;-)

Return to posts index

Roy SchneiderRe: By the piece dance recital pricing
by on Feb 6, 2008 at 8:51:20 pm

Agent 86 and 99 were at the last show!

Roy Schneider
Long Live Da Cow!

Return to posts index

by on Feb 9, 2008 at 9:19:47 pm

[Roy Schneider] "Agent 86 and 99 were at the last show! "

Would you believe...

AKA: Astaire and Rogers?

Sorry about that, Chief.

;-)

Return to posts index

Peter RalphRe: By the piece dance recital pricing
by on Feb 25, 2008 at 4:24:39 pm

the rationale sounds cross-eyed - but the result is more sales for you. If you put all the dances on 1 DVD then a few parents will buy DVDs and make copies for all the rest.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: By the piece dance recital pricing
by on Feb 25, 2008 at 4:53:56 pm

Peter, I think the way to get around that issue is to not make yourself responsible for unit sales in the first place, but to contract to deliver a set number of copies to a client who pays you up front. Make THEM worry about selling the individual disks and enforcing. One insurance method is to demand a minimum number of pre-orders by a deadline or nobody gets one.

You have to decide what business you are in, or WANT to be in: producing the video or selling it. For small-audience items like recitals, you never want to be in charge of sales or collections and should never put yourself in the position of fronting all the production expenses and hoping to make it back on dubs. For the reason you cited.

Return to posts index

Douglas VillalbaRe: By the piece dance recital pricing
by on Mar 5, 2008 at 4:19:45 am

I agree.

I have a simple PL for the schools.

$25.00

50- DVDs 1 manned camera
100- " 2 "
150- " 3 "

For multi-camera I use a director and switcher to reduce edit time.

Douglas Villalba

http://www.dvtvproductions.com

dvillalba@dvtvproductions.com

G5 QUAD 4.5 GB RAM, Decklink HD Extreme, HVX200, FX1, A1 & HV20. Letus Extreme 35 mm adaptor, Rails, GlideCam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]