FORUMS: list search recent posts

They want HOW MUCH??????

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ennoidyam
They want HOW MUCH??????
on Jan 28, 2008 at 9:13:42 pm

WHOEVER HELPS ME WILL SAVE ME THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS!! Bless You!

I have been doing an interactive "movie set" at local elementary schools for almost a year. The presentation has gotten pretty popular and i have schools calling me all the time now.
Last week a Junior High School called and begged me to do it for thier 7th & 8th grade classes.
I usually only do elementary and the kids get to "act" in a scene fron a pirate movie I wrote just for the presentation.

My 11 year old daughter and I agreed that Junior High Schoolers may find "Pirates" too "babyish". I decided I would have them "Film" a "Mucic Video " instead.
WHOEVER HELPS ME WILL SAVE ME THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS!!

To make it look more authentic, I want to have a scenic background on the set. This is because the Cameras are connected to a big screen TV so the students and "Director" can see what the "Cameraman" sees.

The problem is, those large Muslim Scenic Backgrounds for film and theatre are EXPENSIVE!!! Like THOUSANDS of dollars!

I remember taking my kids to Chuck-E-Cheese pizza and they had a video camera with a "Green Screen". When the kids got in front of the camera and danced around, you could see the on the TV above- only with a different background!

I keep asking my friends how they do that but of course, they don't know.

Does anyone here know how I can ackomplish that same effect? I have the chroma screen and camera of course but what else do I need? A laptop? If so, what kid of software and cables and how do I connect everything?

Im sure its MUCH cheaper that buying or renting a cloth backdrop!

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
Re: They want HOW MUCH??????
on Jan 28, 2008 at 9:46:46 pm

You need a video mixer (more correctly called a video "switcher") that allows ChromaKey or Green-Scrren or Blue-Screen.

You can likely RENT one from a local video production house or A/V rental company that does "Hotel Ballroom Shows".

You'd need a large well-lit solid green (or blue) background (Photographer's Paper comes to mind) and one camera to shoot the live actors and another to shoot the background image (a large photo would be fine.)

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
on Jan 29, 2008 at 1:33:42 pm

I don't know how much money you do have to use for this, but the best idea would be to rent a switcher AND a guy from the production house to run it.

If you haven't done much live keying you might spend hours trying to get it right. Someone who's used to it can help you get it right the first time by making sure you bring all the correct equipment.

It could be a big help to you.

Return to posts index

Mick Haensler
on Jan 30, 2008 at 2:19:49 pm

[ennoidyam] "The problem is, those large Muslim Scenic Backgrounds for film and theatre are EXPENSIVE!!"

And in this day and age I don't know how well that would go over. You might ruffle quite a few feathers

Mick Haensler
Higher Ground Media

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
on Jan 31, 2008 at 1:59:36 am

[Mick Haensler] "[ennoidyam] "The problem is, those large Muslim Scenic Backgrounds for film and theatre are EXPENSIVE!!"

And in this day and age I don't know how well that would go over. You might ruffle quite a few feathers
"

I get it.

Very good catch (and very funny, too.)

;-)

Return to posts index

Dionne Knapp
on Jan 31, 2008 at 5:43:51 pm

Ohhh, I GET it!

At first I was confused and had to read it a few times....

Well you know what I meant, Muslin!

Lol!

Thanks for all the good advice. There are alot of Video switchers on EBay. I don't know which kind to get.

Can anyone recommened a brand that I could get cheap on Ebay?
Or better yet, can someone check ebay and send me the link to one that you would recommed purchasing that isn't crazy expensive and is good enough for my purposes?

Return to posts index

George Socka
on Feb 1, 2008 at 12:31:39 am

look at boogie-heads.com. These are the people I saw.

Problem with a switcher is that the other source needs to be video ( or a still store outputting video ) Their system, or a Newtek VT(whetevr number they are at) lets you key over in any number of sources.

George Socka
BeachDigital
http://www.beachdigital.com

Return to posts index

George Socka
on Jan 31, 2008 at 3:33:44 am

I saw those guys at a meetings and events trade show. I though they used Visual Communicator - now an Adobe product - with cheap consumer DV cams which VC is apparently good at - like Ultra but in real time.

George Socka
BeachDigital
http://www.beachdigital.com

Return to posts index

Gary Christensen
on Jan 31, 2008 at 9:19:18 pm

Try the Veescope Live software. It's only $100, and works great.
http://www.veescope.com/
Good luck.

Return to posts index

Diane Reid
on Feb 1, 2008 at 11:47:33 pm

If you go to ebay.com and search for "muslin" you will find many quality pieces of fabric at very reasonable prices.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Mar 8, 2008 at 4:37:07 pm

Lighting a large green screen will be expensive too. But if you put the kit together you'll be able to shoot in any location you want including stock footage. Don't forget all the interconnects you'll need. If you are doing a multi-cam shoot then you'll need a monitor array as well. The last time I researched this I got a edirol 4 channel. It was the most bang for the buck. But new models are coming out all the time.

OSX 10.4.11; Quicksilver Dual 1 gig; G5 dual 2.5 gig; FCP 4.5, 3.0.4; Sony camcorder vx2000/pd170;Canon xl2; Pana consumer cams; write professionally for a variety of media;teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]