FORUMS: list search recent posts

HELLO-LO-Lo-lo-o... Anyone THERE-ERE-Ere-ere-r...

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thax Clave
HELLO-LO-Lo-lo-o... Anyone THERE-ERE-Ere-ere-r...
on Jan 4, 2008 at 2:06:39 pm

Echo- Echo- Echo

Nothing posted here since "last year!"

Wow, is business that GOOD

or that BAD?

;-)

Return to posts index

Don Greening
Re: HELLO-LO-Lo-lo-o... Anyone THERE-ERE-Ere-ere-r...
on Jan 4, 2008 at 5:11:25 pm

LOL@Thax. Best of the new year to you and everyone else here (sound of crickets in the BG).

So let's start a new topic then and we'll freak everyone out when they log on to the COW and see that the Event Videography forum has a hot topic going.

Let's see....I'm starting to get inquiries from wedding folk about HD. Not a lot of them but certainly more than a year ago. So, I'll be buying a good internal Blu-ray burner soon with the hopes that Apple comes out with better (as opposed to the now non-existent) support for Blu-ray authoring with the next DVD Studio Pro upgrade. Heck, Apple needs to show better support for HD DVD for that matter. Otherwise I'll be forced to buy Adobe Encore.

But I'm buying into Blu-ray mostly because of our projected corporate work. Folks who shoot mainly for the web will be able to stay with SD for a lot longer, and that part of the industry is growing big time.

I think Blu-ray will eventually be the winner in this war (ducking quickly) no matter what giants like Wal-Mart say to the contrary.

How was that, Thax? If my topic isn't good enough to generate some response then somebody else can start something better. It's all I could come up with on such short notice.

- Don

Return to posts index

Thax Clave
on Jan 4, 2008 at 7:54:22 pm

[Don Greening] "Let's see....I'm starting to get inquiries from wedding folk about HD. Not a lot of them but certainly more than a year ago. "

More in that vein.

Wedding reception shooters love the PD150 and PD170 for their amazing low-light color shooting sensitivity (2 lux and 1 lux, respectively.)

BUT what about the much less sensitive HDV counterparts?
And 24p settings require you add even more light.

Will HD / HDV shooters need to carry and light-up with 2-3 times the amount of light they are used to?

Will the happy couple be...
less happy...
when you have to shine the light of truth into their dark, cozy dens of nuptial celebration?

Hmmmmmmm?

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 4, 2008 at 8:16:45 pm

[Thax Clave] "Will HD / HDV shooters need to carry and light-up with 2-3 times the amount of light they are used to?"

The answer is............wait for it...............NO! :)

At least, not if they use the new PMW-EX1. I did a low light test between my PD170 and my EX1 and it beat the PD170 slightly in all low light tests. Yes, it's true. The first HD handheld to beat the low light champ. Check it out:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/greening_don/ex1-pd170.php

The article text is a bit confusing because initially I thought the PD170 was the winner just by looking in the viewfinders, Two days later I re-did the test and the frame grabs don't lie. The EX1 has more picture noise at high gain settings but that can be brought into line quite easily by changing the edge detail, etc.

The best part is that the EX1 doesn't cost much more than a good 1/3" chip HDV camera.

- Don

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
on Jan 4, 2008 at 10:20:49 pm

I moved from PD-170s to HDV V1Us. Are they less light sensitive? Yes. Are they better than the Panasonic Supercams I used 10 years ago? Also yes.

So although I'm using a bit more light than I did last year, it's still far less than I've used in the past. I think it's a fair tradeoff for HD footage.

And as for the HD...I'm about to go to a wedding show this month with my new plan for clients:
* Widescreen SD DVD copies
* HDV Master Tape
* HD computer file (on DVD-R) for computer viewing or use with AppleTV or other networked device

Is this going to work? We'll find out! As far as I can tell, far more people have HD-quality computer screens than have Blu-Ray or HD-DVD players. I'm hoping they'll find the computer file appealing.

I think it's a nice compromise but I'll have to wait and see if the consumer likes the idea. I'll report back once I know more.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on Jan 4, 2008 at 10:56:25 pm

[Jeff Carpenter] "HD computer file (on DVD-R) for computer viewing or use with AppleTV or other networked device"

This is an absolutely great idea and something that's been the topic of conversation before. I just forget where. Anyway, since Apple TV is relatively inexpensive to buy I would consider including one in a client package just so they'd have the pleasure of watching an HD version of a project they've paid good money for. Of course, it would have to be a pretty high end client to justify the cost.

- Don

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jan 5, 2008 at 2:27:45 am

Wait till you find out how long it will take to convert your HDV timeline to Apple TV format! You'll need a separate computer system for that.

Blu-Ray DVD burners will come way down in price this year and you might see an HD-DVD burner by the end of the year.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Director-At-Large
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]