FORUMS: list search recent posts

Azden WLX-PRO cheapo?

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
clyde vAzden WLX-PRO cheapo?
by on Dec 18, 2007 at 6:02:48 am

I was reading reviews on CNET and I came across 1 review (it's actually the only review for that product) for the Azden WLX-PRO. The user summary was "cheap-o and low output level." The user rating is 2/10 or "terrible." Is that true? Was supposed to buy one from Singapore through the web for my emergency mic in case my Samson fails (because it did a couple of times). Thank you.

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: Azden WLX-PRO cheapo?
by on Dec 20, 2007 at 6:58:11 pm

I haven't used that exact model, but I have experience with other Azden mics that are similar to that one.

Short answer: Yes, the reviews are correct. It's not a great mic. Imagine taking a consumer DV camcoer and holding it up about 1 foot away from someone who's talking. That's pretty much the same kind of audio you should expect.

I mean, it's not unusable, but it's not what I'd call great audio. I have an old one and I use it in extreme situations. For example, I might have a wedding where I have my 3 good wireless systems on the groom, the priest, and a scripture reader. In a church, that's fine. I pick up the organ on all my mics just fine. But let's say I'm outdoors and there's a small string quartet way off to the back of the field. In that case I'll throw my little Azden over there and I get the intro and exit music from it. In that case it's supposed to sound "outdoors-ey" and the audio is far better than using a camera mic. It's not ideal, but I just don't have the money to keep a 4th $700 wireless system around when I know I won't be using it very often. In those situations it's nice to have a cheap alternative to help me get everything.

So, if you're getting it for a rarely-used backup, it might be ok. Just be very aware that it won't be the same as the system it replaces assuming you have a decent mic setup to begin with. I use mine as a 4th-string backup, which is what I consider it to be "ok" for.

Return to posts index

clyde vRe: Azden WLX-PRO cheapo?
by on Dec 20, 2007 at 9:49:40 pm

Thanks for the advice, Jeff.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved