FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing audio

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Williams
Capturing audio
on Nov 19, 2007 at 4:20:24 pm

Hello gentlemen,
I'm going to video an event next month. There will be an announcer at a podium calling peoples names as they come down off the stage. I am thinking about buying the cheapest camcorder I can find that has a mic input and mount a signvideo mic adaptor on it and put a mic at the podium to capture the announcer.
I have used a disc recorder in the past but when i put that audio on my timeline it did not match the audio from my mini dv tape footage. Thought this might eliminate that problem and give me good audio. By the way i have a high quality LXR voice microphone.
Has anyone done anything like this. This is simple an alternative plan in case an output from the house board is not convenient. Your input is appreciated.
J. Williams

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: Capturing audio
on Nov 19, 2007 at 4:55:55 pm

A miniDV camcorder will work just fine.

And you'll have a timecoded tape with that audio so you can re-capture if need be.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Nov 20, 2007 at 3:58:52 pm

Your idea will work.

Your problem with the sound recorded earlier may be that you had mis-matched sample rates. If you convert the sample rate from the external recorder to match what your editing system uses, your sounds should stay in synch much better. Seems like a cheaper solution is to see if that fix works before you spend more money.

Return to posts index

James Williams
on Nov 21, 2007 at 4:21:15 pm

Thanks gentlemen for the responses. I needed an excuse the buy a cheap mini dv camcorder anyway. I need a tape capture and rewinder. :)
With black friday looming i hope to find a good deal on something with mic input. Am i correct to assume the quality of the audio will depend more on the quality of the mic and not the camera?
J. Williams

Return to posts index

Matte
on Nov 21, 2007 at 6:30:27 pm

[James Williams] "Am i correct to assume the quality of the audio will depend more on the quality of the mic and not the camera?"

Yes.

I own many of these little home video miniDV camcorders.
I bought mine from pawn shops for under $125 each.

The shops here all have money-back guarantees on electronics, but I haven't had any problems yet.

I take a tape with me that I have recorded on one of my good cameras to see if it play OK in the used unit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]