FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Year project

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
LauraITT
Final Year project
on Sep 12, 2007 at 9:17:26 am

Hi everyone,
I have to decide on a 4th year project and I was hoping you guys could help, I would like for it to involve film making and editing but it also cant be a dvd, as the budget is tight. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas of how to include film making with something else. An example might be maybe making a film that teaches something and is displayed on some sort of console. I know that I am a bit all over the place trying to describe it, but its early days.
All help is much appreciated
Laura

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: Final Year project
on Sep 12, 2007 at 11:35:11 am

Why would you say producing a DVD is expensive?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 12, 2007 at 1:25:18 pm

"making a film that teaches something and is displayed on some sort of console"

I'll bet you there's some money in that.

Care to elaborate a little? What is it you are studying in school?

Matte is right, elementary DVD's are cheap and easy to make with consumer tools. But don't get hung up on format right now, think through what the message is first.

Return to posts index

lauraITT
on Sep 12, 2007 at 6:44:56 pm

I guess I assumed it would be expensive.
Im studying computing with multimedia so I guess they would like for some code to be involved.
However I am a lot more interested in video and would like to involve this in the project.

"making a film that teaches something and is displayed on some sort of console"

This was just a random example.

Thanks for replying

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 14, 2007 at 3:01:14 pm

For someone finishing their fourth year studying a subject, you don't sound at all sure what you're going for or why. What school is this?

After four years working with the concepts, ideas should be popping out like weeds. Whether they are practical or not is immaterial at this stage. But you should certainly have SOME idea of what you want to do/show/say by now. Don't be shy: share it, let's see if it's something that can be made to work.

Return to posts index

lauraITT
on Sep 17, 2007 at 5:25:15 pm

Sure we havent even been given a spec for this project yet, I am trying to come up with an idea and get the ball rolling as early as possible. As I have said I would love to do something with video, but Im stumped with trying to involve code in a video project.

Im interested in 3d animation but I have not got much experience in it at all. Maybe a something in flash with video involved.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Sep 17, 2007 at 7:02:18 pm

OK, I have a project for you, one I've tried to get done for a couple summers now, only I can't find anybody with visual basic skills that will spend the time on it for no money. If you do this project, I only ask you let me use a copy of it too, free of charge.

In Japan there was once a kid's show that featured a live contest segment every week. Kids would draw pictures of wrestling monsters or robots, and mail them to the station. The station picked two of the entries each week andused them for "video sumo". This involved digitizing the pictures and setting up a system that sampled audio VU level. The two kids picked to "fight" called into the show, and on cue, would YELL into their phones as long and as loud as possible. The longer and louder you yelled, the more your hand-drawn avatar pushed the other one off-screen/out of the circle, until a winner was declared, like sumo wrestling.

What I wanted to make was a variation on this trick, a "virtual tractor pull" contest. Using vbasic, sample an incoming audio signal from a mic coming into a laptop's sound card. The longer the signal goes ( as long as loudness is above a user-adjustable "loudness threshold"), the farther the tractor icon travels across the screen until it crosses a finish line with a "full pull".

Each time two entrants achieve a full pull, the threshold is re-set louder until one is eliminated and one victor remains. The variable that advances the tractor is an audio input signal that remains uninterrupted and above the threshold loudness value. Any interruption of more than a millisecond stops the "race" and sets a marker or numerical score readout on the "track". A timed re-set engages after 60 seconds.

The fun of this program, which I was going to put in a kiosk at the state fair, was that little kids could compete with their parents to see who could "veroooommmm!" the longest without stopping for a breath.

Think you could code up something for me? You would keep your name on it, I just want the right to be able to use it at the fair as described, I'm not wanting to charge money, this would be a free attraction.

A variation of the game is a hog-calling contest: the software is the same, the graphics become a pig on the far right and a farmer on the far left, and the uninterrupted calling sound drives the pig to advance all the way to the farmer to "win".

Most of the vbasic is already available as prewritten modules, they just need hooking together into a functional program as described. What'cha think?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]