FORUMS: list search recent posts

Z1U or HD110U

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cadge31Z1U or HD110U
by on Aug 27, 2007 at 1:55:39 pm

I am on the cusp of purchasing a new HDV camera. I know most people recommend the HVX200, but the P2 cards are out of the question for my needs.

I am torn between the Sony Z1U and the JVC HD100U. Overall, I really like the features of the JVC, but I am concerned about it being 720 instead of 1080. Is this a big enough issue for me to be concerned with? Also I don't think the JVC can downconvert on the fly to SD like the Sony can. Also to take into consideration is which camera is more compatible with a PC Adobe Production Suite system?

Right now, I have a VX2000 as my primary camera. I would think that my comfort level would be higher with the Z1U, as I am sure it's more similar to the VX2000 than the JVC. Obviously the JVC is a shoulder-mounted camera, which is a big difference.

Basically, what do you people recommend between these two cameras? The Sony Z1U, or the JVC HD100U?

-Aaron

Return to posts index

Marco SolorioRe: Z1U or HD110U
by on Aug 27, 2007 at 11:17:51 pm

This was just answered in the Cinematography Forum that you just posted in...

http://forums.creativecow.net/viewforum/54

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | Codec Resource Site | Cinesoft | Media Batch

Return to posts index

Marco SolorioRe: Z1U or HD110U
by on Aug 27, 2007 at 11:25:25 pm

Edit: I meant the Indie Film & Documentary forum, but it looks like Leo covered it in the Cinematography forum that I linked to. Indie Forum:

http://forums.creativecow.net/viewforum/99

Marco Solorio | CreativeCow Host | OneRiver Media | Codec Resource Site | Cinesoft | Media Batch

Return to posts index

Mark Von LankenRe: Z1U or HD110U
by on Sep 12, 2007 at 2:19:18 pm

Hi Aaron,

I don't know if you have made your camera purchase or not. If you haven't, Sony has some new models coming out, so if you can wait, it may be to your advantage.

If the purchase cannot wait, I would stongly consider the Z1. I was considering both cameras for about a year. I had been shooting with the Sony DSR-250 and liked the idea of the JVC being a shoulder mount camera. I tried out the JVC at a couple of trade shows and really liked the feel of it and especially the real lens.

I decided to go with the Z1s because I could not ask my wife to shoot with the JVC. It's just too big.

We bought two Z1s in April and really like them. In July my decision was confirmed. We had a videographer come to our workshop with the JVC. It was my first chance to spend some time with the camera in real world settings.

He had the stock lens and while it does have a nice zoom range, it is very limited in the wide range. The lens is so lacking at the wide range that it made it very hard to getting some of the moving shots I like to do. You could add a wide angle adapter, but it would be very expensive for a lens like that.

The camera was also weak in low light shooting. While the Z1 is not as good as the VX2000, it is better than the JVC.

On the other hand, I know a guy in Philly that shoots wedding with the JVC and really likes it. It just goes to show, it's not all about what gear you use, but the skills of the person behind the gear.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]