FORUMS: list search recent posts

General Purpose Tripod

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cow
willjohnstonGeneral Purpose Tripod
by on Jun 25, 2007 at 5:32:33 pm

I'm looking for a general purpose tripod at a price point of $300 or less (I'm not necessarily looking to spend at the top of that range unless it's necessary). Mostly I film speakers standing at podiums, so I don't need anything amazing, but I'm looking to be able to more smoothly pan a crowd or follow the speaker up to the podium. Also, I'm sometimes on press risers that aren't super steady, so I need something that won't exacerbate those tremors.

Thanks,
Will

DemWork - Jobs for Dems, jobs with progressive organizations, liberal campaigns, and Democratic Capitol Hill offices, including quite a few new media jobs.

Return to posts index

Kerry BrownRe: General Purpose Tripod
by on Jun 26, 2007 at 2:26:19 am

Bescor TH-660 under $200.00 Good general fluid head with 65mm ball.

KB

Return to posts index

Rick WiseRe: General Purpose Tripod
by on Jul 4, 2007 at 8:50:39 pm

Actually, the Bescor is pretty bad. Look at the online reviews. I made the mistake of buying one. Impossible to make a smooth vertical tilt, though the horizontal pans are OK. For very little more (though no ball leveling) you can get a pretty good and pretty cheap Manfrotto head/sticks combination: http://tinyurl.com/2w3q38 I just bought one and am happy. The head appears to be a true "fluid head". You do have to pay close attention to make silky compound moves, but you certainly can do them using a light and balanced touch. Far better than the light Libec.

Rick Wise
director of photography
Oakland, CA
http://www.RickWiseDP.com
email: Rick@RickWiseDP.com

Return to posts index

CowdogRe: General Purpose Tripod
by on Jul 4, 2007 at 10:56:57 pm

This already went up once, Rick. It is on the board if you will look.

Also, do not put periods at the end of your web addresses in the COW or they will not work.

Cowdog

Return to posts index

Kerry BrownRe: General Purpose Tripod
by on Jun 26, 2007 at 2:35:49 am

Libec TH-M20 Aluminum 2-Stage Tripod with 65 mm Ball Base Fluid Head, Mid-Level Spreader, & Case - Supports 8.8 lb B&H $179.00

KB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]