FORUMS: list search recent posts

Surcharge....is it appropriate?

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffrey GouldSurcharge....is it appropriate?
by on Jun 22, 2007 at 2:23:57 pm

Hi, I have a contract and a Bar Mitzvah I shot in 2002, the Mother is just calling me now to supply photos, invitation, balance, etc... so that I can edit the video. My issue is: #1, should we edit a video in 2007 for the same price we charged back in 2002? And #2, this video was shot on SVHS and D-9 (Two camera shoot), I no longer use those formats and have to transfer them to DV if Premiere is going to have deck control and scene detect. I guess I'm asking if you think it's appropriate/acceptable to ask for an extra $100 to cover the extra work...as it wasn't my fault they didn't furnish me with what I needed and didn't return phone calls for the past 5 years. Thoughts?

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

Bruce Bennett in Madison, WIRe: Surcharge....is it appropriate?
by on Jun 22, 2007 at 3:50:34 pm

Jeffrey,

Not sure how much you'd make on the end product, but I think you'd do a lot more than $100 worth of damage to your biz's reputation if your client starts bad mouthing to potential customers (even if you are in the right, it won't matter once the damage is done).

I'd invoice it all at 2007 prices and then put in a line item discount to reflect the cost difference -- making sure she knows that she is getting a good deal.

Bruce

Bruce Bennett,
Bennett Marketing & Media Production, LLC - http://www.bmmp.com

Return to posts index

Jeffrey GouldRe: Surcharge....is it appropriate?
by on Jun 22, 2007 at 4:06:10 pm

If I were pursuing Event work, I'd agree with you. I stopped shooting Wedding's/Bars years ago and just do Corporate work now. However, this is the 3rd Bar Mitzvah I have done for her family. I realize it's not her fault that I don't use those outdated formats anymore...but if she would've lived up to her part of the deal, it wouldn't have taken 5 years to get this point. Thanks for the reply.

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

Topher944Re: Surcharge....is it appropriate?
by on Jun 23, 2007 at 3:15:39 am

Hi Jeff, Can you buy a brand new MBZ today for the 2002 price. If you can find one - I'll buy every one of them. I can't stand the ass kissing that goes on for these people. In five years your eqpt expense has gone up as well as your overhead and your salary. Surely, she can't expect to receive the same price. Really, how many jobs have you received from her in the last five years and how many more do you think she's gonna recommend you for. Stand your ground and now remember to put into your contract a time limit on the price of your services. 90 days sounds fair. This is why I've dumped that side of the bizz. Buy the way, if you're still charging the same prices as five years ago - you're a part of the problem and not a solution. Best of Luck, Kind Regards, Chris K.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey GouldRe: Surcharge....is it appropriate?
by on Jun 23, 2007 at 1:10:05 pm

Well Chris, I'm glad I found someone who agrees with me and I agree with the ass kissing comment. I really didn't think I was off base here. Like I said, I'm not looking to book other event jobs. Hers was actually the last one I shot, but once in awhile I have another videographer shoot one for a repeat client and I do the editing. Since this is her last kid, I haven't received any referrals from her. She did call me 3 years ago saying she would drop off pictures, but wanted VHS instead of DVD's. That should tell you what I'm dealing with. Thanks for the validation.

Jeffrey S. Gould
Action Media Productions

Return to posts index

Craig SeemanRe: Surcharge....is it appropriate?
by on Jul 2, 2007 at 12:00:15 am

I agree with you too. Did you put anything into your contract that would imply it was open ended? I include turn around time in my contracts. If you do allow it to be open ended, your rate should be as open ended as the contract. If not, they'll be sending you the Bar Mitzvah boy's wedding pictures and those of his kids thereafter to edit.

Return to posts index

Frank NolanRe: Surcharge....is it appropriate?
by on Jun 25, 2007 at 7:57:54 pm

Unless you really need this or feel obligated to this client, I would be inclined to hand her the original tapes and call it a day. Inform her that you have moved on and no longer do this type of work. You gave her ample time to supply the needed assets to edit the project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]