FORUMS: list search recent posts

Easiest way to transfer video footage from a shoot (P2 card etc)

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris HuggettEasiest way to transfer video footage from a shoot (P2 card etc)
by on Jun 17, 2007 at 10:56:02 am

Hi guys

I have a shoot coming up in a few months. Its an instructional Martial Arts video and im hopefully going to be using 3 cameras (hired). The shoot last time took 26 hours of live video, which i had to dump onto 2 external hard drives via one of the cameras firewire output.

Im looking to try and avoid dumping in realtime and was hoping anyone can give me any advice regarding video cameras that capture to removeable media which i can then USB it over to my HDD. My budget is low, so please, no high end kind of gear.

Would it be more economical to capture straight from the cameras to HDDs. If thats the way to go, could you please provide any info as i am new to this kind of work.

If there is any other economical ways to capture my footage please advise.

I have not decided what platform i will be working from (Mac or PC) but can work form both.

THanks guys

Return to posts index

KeyDesignzRe: Easiest way to transfer video footage from a shoot (P2 card etc)
by on Jul 3, 2007 at 5:15:46 am

Why not just use tape and change when neccessary? You can set the cameras a minute apart and change tapes just before they run out. That way you have a crossover from one tape to another. You just need to visually look at the footage to determine the point when you crossover. Shouldn't be too hard, I have done this a lot when shooting multicamera. It is the most effective and cheapest way to go, rather than dumping to a harddisk constantly. Also no freedom of movement. If it is an instructional video, it can be stopped and started, so you can direct the shoot, tell the talent when to go and when to stop if you need to change tapes and are worried about losing footage, surely it can't be non-stop.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved