FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mounting Shotgun Mics to Compact Camcorders

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
thomasdeneto
Mounting Shotgun Mics to Compact Camcorders
on Jun 12, 2007 at 10:58:59 pm

I am doing a video doc and was wandering if their is a way to mount a shotgun mic to my old Sony 8 camcorder (or rig it so I can carry and use it and my camcorder at the same time). It's fund granted-barely, and I have to do everything myself so having someone else hold the mic is not an option. I need to shoot subjects walking and talking, etc. Also, can I hook up the mic to a minidisc recorder if I want to record sound separately. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Thomas Deneto

Return to posts index

Doug Graham
Re: Mounting Shotgun Mics to Compact Camcorders
on Jun 13, 2007 at 12:40:02 pm

"if there is a way to mount a shotgun mic to my old Sony 8 camcorder"

Yes. You'll need a camera bracket, something like this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/133276-REG/Bescor_VB50_VB_50_Universa...

and a microphone mount to fit into the shoe, like this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/225809-REG/Azden_SMH1_SMH_1_Shock_Mou...

"or rig it so I can carry and use it and my camcorder at the same time"

Yes, with some caveats. You can get a boom pole or a handle for the mic...but it's better to have someone else hold it. Remember that the key to good audio is to get the mic within 2 feet or so of the sound source. Your camera, and you, are probably not in the best position to capture the audio. I'm sure you can find a volunteer to hold the mic for free.

"can I hook up the mic to a minidisc recorder if I want to record sound separately?"

Yes, but try it out with the MD before you buy it. The MD recorder might not supply it with enough power. In that case, one of the mics with its own power module would be required.

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]