FORUMS: list search recent posts

Baggage Size Restriction

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim CunninghamBaggage Size Restriction
by on May 14, 2007 at 3:55:55 pm

Just a heads-up to all you video voyagers.

Recently, AirTran charge me for an over-sized bag (the one I ship my tripod and some light weight 44lbs) it was 64.5 inch (that's height+width+length) and their limit (and I believe the other airlines as well) is 62 inches.

Now I've been traveling with this bag for years, and no one has ever charged extra for it, but with the airline always looking to nickel and dime you to death, this may be their new area to "get ya". This was on the return flight. They didn't say anything on the way out.
They did admit that they were not checking for this until recently.

Return to posts index

Ralph HajikRe: Baggage Size Restriction
by on May 15, 2007 at 6:06:16 am

Hi Jim,

Thanks neighbor for the heads up. I always carry on my camera gear on the plane, but no tri-pod. I would check that in inside my suitcase. So far I'm doing ok with the size bag I have, 10H x 9w x 14L. I really pack it in when I go on trips. I take my camcorder, film, Canon 20D, batteries, etc. My next trip is Italy.

Happy Travels

Ralph Hajik
Westmont, IL

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Baggage Size Restriction
by on May 15, 2007 at 2:06:50 pm

Look into something called the Sport Tube. It's a variable-length plastic container designed for things like snowboards. It travels under the same sporting goods discount as golf clubs. For that matter, look into using a golf bag container the same way. Throw a putter in there just to stay within the spirit of the thing, but otherwise fill it with the tripod, stands, etc. My friends who ship delicate and long-winged RC gliders by air swear by this method.

Return to posts index

Paul ThurstonRe: Baggage Size Restriction
by on May 26, 2007 at 1:27:22 am

It's true,

Videography Magazine had suggested that putting your tripod into a golf bag, the type that has a hard shell inside is the cheapest, safest way to ship your tripod on an airplane.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved