FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using DVCAM tapes in a JVC DV camera

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
robertbecUsing DVCAM tapes in a JVC DV camera
by on Apr 3, 2007 at 4:15:30 am

HI

Quick question JVC are out of stock with there DV Professional Tapes but i can get DVCAM Tapes Sony or Fujfilm has anyone had any experience with using a different brand tape.
JVC told me it is ok, then i have heard if you use one brand stick to it but in my case i have no choice.
DVCAM will give 4.5 hours of taping where JVC DV TApes only give me 3hrs.
Will DVCAM drop frames or are they better to use .My camera plays both DV and DVCAM.

Thanks
Rob

Return to posts index

ThaxRe: Using DVCAM tapes in a JVC DV camera
by on Apr 3, 2007 at 11:23:12 am

You'll never get a clear consensus on this.

I have never had a problem with using various brands of DV tape in the same gear.

I've been at it for a long time, and used a lot of tape.

Your mileage may vary.

Return to posts index

Doug GrahamRe: Using DVCAM tapes in a JVC DV camera
by on Apr 3, 2007 at 7:33:34 pm

DVCAM is a data format, not a tape format. The same physical tape can be used to record either DV or DVCAM or DVCPRO25.

A completely separate issue is that of using multiple brands of tape. Different manufacturers use different tape lubricant formulas. Mixing them can sometimes cause junk to build up and cause head clogs. However, if you run a cleaning tape for a few seconds before putting in the new brand, you should be OK.

Another, less alarming issue, has to do with tape thickness. From what you say, the DVCAM tapes are a longer length, and therefore are probably thinner material. Thinner tapes are more prone to stretch, especially on repeated use. Again, you should be OK if all you're doing is recording and then dumping the video to disk for editing.

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

Kerry BrownRe: Using DVCAM tapes in a JVC DV camera
by on Apr 4, 2007 at 3:04:31 am

DVCPRO25 is a different type of tape and is not compatible with DV, Mini DV, or DVCam recorders. The data is the same (DV) but not the physical tape.
DV and DVCAM are metal evaporated tape and DVCPro is metal oxide. Tape shells are different also.

KB

Return to posts index

Steve EisenRe: Using DVCAM tapes in a JVC DV camera
by on Apr 7, 2007 at 1:59:09 am

DVCAM is the best solution for anyone that does not want dropouts. You will get more millage out of DVCAM than any other tape.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Director-At-Large
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

robertbecRe: Using DVCAM tapes in a JVC DV camera
by on Apr 7, 2007 at 4:54:28 am

Hi Guys

So using DVCAM in a DV Camera which was originally using DV Professional Tapes wont be a problem for me

thanks

Rob

Return to posts index

supervideoRe: Using DVCAM tapes in a JVC DV camera
by on Apr 7, 2007 at 10:02:06 pm

Ive used dvcam tapes in my DVC pro camera quite a few times and its been just fine !

Return to posts index

TimKVMRe: Using DVCAM tapes in a JVC DV camera
by on May 17, 2007 at 4:57:11 pm

We starting using DVCam tapes in our JVC GYDV5000's. We started developing all sorts of problems require professional maintenance. JVC told us NOT to use DVcam tapes in the camera because even though it can handle it, it was not designed for it. This seems stupid to me as it supposedly is a feature on the camera. I would call JVC if I was you and see what they tell you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]