FORUMS: list search recent posts

Producing an EPK for a solo artist

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
VincentProducing an EPK for a solo artist
by on Mar 15, 2007 at 4:41:15 am

Just recently met an artist who is working an album at my friends studio and I approached him with the thought of producing an epk. Although I have experience in broadcast production working on music videos, informercials, and corporate events- I have a general knowledge of what is involved for an epk, however, I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on how to keep it interesting on a very limited budget.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Producing an EPK for a solo artist
by on Mar 16, 2007 at 3:47:37 pm

This thread has too many TLA's. What is an EPK?

Return to posts index

Boyce JohnsonRe: Producing an EPK for a solo artist
by on Mar 16, 2007 at 9:25:51 pm

Electronic Press Kit.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Producing an EPK for a solo artist
by on Mar 19, 2007 at 11:48:23 pm

Oh, ok, I just don't usually hear it called that.

Without money you are going to be somewhat limited. Everybody does the typical behind the scenes interviews and backstage/studio footage thing. If the artist travelled someplace on tour or while composing the songs that was interesting, a little travelogue with lots of cool stills could be neat.

Say the person played blues, a tour to the old Chess studios would be of interest to fans and a wider blues audience. If they play folk instruments, a visit to the place their guitar or whatever was made could be cool.

A quicktime VR panorama of the group on stage, that you can navigate all around to look at from different angles, could be neat. Add some extra work and embed tags in various target objects in the panorama that are links to hidden, full pages the web site, or just to some HTML pages on the give-away disk with more detail about something. Like click on the amp in the corner to get a list of all the instuments used inthe making of blah blah blah.

Record some audio stories of the origins of particular lyrics. Add flash animation illustrations.

How about you supply a version of one song from the album in a format where the user can re-mix it and mash it up? You would have to prepare the tracks so they would be ready for use in a looping program like Acid or etc. This could also be duplicated on the web site. Then you run a contest to enter your best re-mix of the artist's song, and that one will get added to later pressings.

Simple: add alternate templates for the CD cover so you the owner can print out the cover you prefer for your CD.

Maybe change the form it is delivered on: put it on USB keychains instead of a DVD or CD-Rom. At least for a handful of high-profile target viewers.

Return to posts index

VincentRe: Producing an EPK for a solo artist
by on Mar 20, 2007 at 3:28:11 am

Woof! The first paragraph blew me away!!!! Those are great ideas Mark. I would love to see what you would have come up with if I had a budget. Once this project is completed and if I use any of your ideas, I will give credit where credit is due. Thanks again.

Vincent Cuchel
i DREAM Productions, Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved