FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bad Chip?

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pixel_pilot
Bad Chip?
on Mar 13, 2007 at 8:03:32 pm

Hello all,

One of my canon XL2s color temperature is fluctuating randomly on its own while I am shooting. Is this a bad chip? If so is it costly to repair, the warranty is up.

Return to posts index

Thax
Re: Bad Chip?
by
on Mar 15, 2007 at 9:31:47 pm

Could be.
Could be something else.

Ye$$.

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
on Mar 19, 2007 at 2:00:24 pm

is it the color temperature that is shifting, or the phase, or the channels?

Return to posts index

pixel_pilot
on Mar 19, 2007 at 2:04:27 pm

Sorry, I am somewhat of a newbie at this so i don't know what you mean by by phase or channel. What it looks like is the white balance is constantly changing. By channel do you mean presets? Ant professional insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Peter

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
on Mar 19, 2007 at 4:13:06 pm

by phase I mean the hue is changing
by channel I mean one or more of the color channels(Red, Green or Blue)is dropping out

if it is the white balance does it happen whatever WB setting you use? Try them all

Re-set the camera by removing/replacing the internal battery

Return to posts index

pixel_pilot
on Mar 19, 2007 at 4:21:33 pm

Thanks Pete,

All the colors are fluctuating. I will trouble shoott all the settings but I am certain it will happen on all. I will try removing the internal battry as you suggested and see what happens.

Thanks again Pete

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
on Mar 19, 2007 at 4:54:28 pm

if all the colors are fluctuating then it may be a signal problem. This could be caused by dust/grime buildup on the contacts between the camera body and lens. Have you removed the lens lately?

carefully remove and reseat the lens. Any change?

If you feel up to it VERY gently clean the mating sufaces between lens and camera with denatured alcohol. Gently brushing the surfaces with a pristine pencil eraser also helps.

Return to posts index

pixel_pilot
on Mar 22, 2007 at 11:06:17 pm

Pete ,

I think my original assesment was incorrect. It is the hue (phase that is fluctuating.

Return to posts index

Peter Ralph
on Mar 23, 2007 at 2:50:35 pm

yes it can be difficult to tell. I had it happen at a wedding - all of a sudden the entire screen picture went blue - as if I had set the WB wrongly. It happened immediately after I moved the cam following the procession. I had been using another lens the previous day - and luckily it occured to me to reset the lens. Problem solved. Phew!

Analysing the problem in post I discovered I could fix it by switching the color channels. From canon xl1 club I learned that there is a low voltage electrical circuit/signal running between the body and lens of the camera.

Return to posts index

pixel_pilot
on Mar 27, 2007 at 3:42:55 pm

Pete,

I went through all three cameras. The video guy before me had the settings all over the plac. not one camera was the same. so I pulled the internal batterys to reset everything and it fixed the problem. They are all synced and working perfectly. Thanks for the tip on the internal battery.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]