FORUMS: list search recent posts

In search of a good, omnidirectional mic

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dang0001In search of a good, omnidirectional mic
by on Feb 5, 2007 at 4:07:22 pm

Hi,

My apologies in advance if this is not the proper forum for this question. If it's not, would someone please point me to the right place?

I need an omnidirectional mic for my new Panasonic DV cam, model PV-GS300. I was careful to buy a model that had a jack, but I'm still a little unclear about what is the best kind of mic, and whether I'll need some sort of adapter. My wife will be using the cam and mic to film her kindergarten class room. Our previous attempts using the built in mic often resulted in not being able to hear dialogue.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

MatteRe: In search of a good, omnidirectional mic
by on Feb 5, 2007 at 7:32:22 pm

You should not attempt to shoot dialogue with the on-cam mic (as ytou discovered).
But an OMNI-directional mic is not the best choice, either.

A good 'Directional' mic is what you want, and you should have someone holding it (or have it mounted on) a boom-pole, so that it is JUST outside the picture area when shooting dialogue.

Pro mics have XLR connectors and you need an adapter to connect them to your camcorder's 1/8-inch mini-plug.

The units made by BeachTek

http://www.beachtek.com/

are a popular choice for these kind of mic-to-camera connections.

Return to posts index

dang0001Re: In search of a good, omnidirectional mic
by on Feb 6, 2007 at 6:46:14 am

Hey, thanks for the response. We can't use a boom and such because it's too disruptive to the classroom full of kindergartners. Given our inability to use a directional mic, we were told an omnidirectional mic was our best bet.

Return to posts index

zrb123Re: In search of a good, omnidirectional mic
by on Feb 6, 2007 at 6:53:11 am

Use a wireless lavaliere mic.

Return to posts index

dang0001Re: In search of a good, omnidirectional mic
by on Feb 6, 2007 at 7:14:38 am

Jeez, I'm such a noob. Could you please recommend a specific mic that you think is worthwhile? I am overwhelmed by the myriad of choices on the beachtek site. Also, what are the benefits of a lavalier mic?

Thanks again for your help.

Return to posts index

MatteRe: In search of a good, omnidirectional mic
by on Feb 6, 2007 at 9:13:59 pm

Best bet is to find a local shooting/recording pro to come and help set you up right and show you some mic techniques.

There are too many variables for you at your (self-admitted) low experience level to to answer adequately on a bulletin board.

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: In search of a good, omnidirectional mic
by on Feb 6, 2007 at 11:28:40 am

You should explain a little more about what your wife is doing. Is she shooting presentations at the front of the classroom like show and tell? Or plays with the entire class as the cast? Or maybe just walking around shooting students working on projects at their desks?

The suggestions you've been getting are good for some of these activities but for not others. I hesitate to make even more suggestions when I don't know how useful it will be to you. Give us a little more info and we can give you more detailed advice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]