FORUMS: list search recent posts

standalone dvd recorder

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
carol winterstandalone dvd recorder
by on Jan 30, 2007 at 4:57:48 am

I am looking for a dvd recorder that does not put a menu up first, we want to do hit play and have it go, we currently have a pioneer 9000 and need to find another recorder. Any suggestions would be great.

Return to posts index

Doug GrahamRe: standalone dvd recorder
by on Jan 31, 2007 at 2:57:39 pm

I can't help you on the standalone unit...but why not just use an internal DVD burner in your computer? They cost around $50 now, and a simple program like Nero can burn a no-menu, insert-disk-and-play movie.

Doug Graham

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: standalone dvd recorder
by on Jan 31, 2007 at 4:57:56 pm

If you find one, let me know. Our stand-alone Panasonics force a menu as well. Other than that, we like 'em. What you all should do is make a letter-writing campaign to the makers asking for a no-menu, first-play option when recording. We'd buy those in a heartbeat.

Return to posts index

Steve EisenRe: standalone dvd recorder
by on Feb 1, 2007 at 4:03:44 am

Standalone units are great for making direct dubs and that is it. I create all my DVD's in DVD Studio Pro. I can be as creative as I want to be with the way I want my audience to watch the DVD.

The time it takes to name and finalize the disc on a standalone, I can create a fully customized DVD in DVD Studio Pro. I also can say that my encoding is faster than real time on my Mac Pro Dual 3.0.

Go with the internal DVD burner. You can control what your audience sees. Standalones cannot.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: standalone dvd recorder
by on Feb 1, 2007 at 4:35:35 am

So, Steve, I have Apple DVD Studio Pro too, and I was wondering if you could show me the spigot or menu where I can input live video on the fly direct to a DVD there...

Uh huh.

I think what you meant to say there was, you can import live footage into a mac tower or laptop using FCP, then export from there into Compressor or direct into DVD Studio, THEN "make" and burn your DVD. That's not very "live" or "real-time" now, is it? Not everything needs to be or should be "authored", there are plenty of legit boradcast as well as non-broadcast users doing it with stand-alones all the time. If I had to author every little thing that came thru the shop needing a DVD dub, I could never get all my work done.

Your answering a different question from the original poster's one.

Return to posts index

carol winterRe: standalone dvd recorder
by on Feb 1, 2007 at 4:46:29 am

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate the response. We have several internals but we have several projects per day that we just want to burn to a standalone and free up the edit system and go on. I did find that jvc has one that sounds pretty good but the one I really wanted I cannot get jvc to reply on. We also need it to do projects that are already on tape.

Return to posts index

FarmerboyRe: standalone dvd recorder
by on Feb 1, 2007 at 4:15:16 pm

I'm a little confused. At our shop we have 3 Panasonic stand alone units. model DMR-E55 before finalizing the disk you have an option of menu first or play first. When you select play first, the disk starts playing right away and after the program is finished the menu comes up. If you do not want your client to see a menu put an extra 30 sec. of black at the end of the program most people stop the player or eject the disk by then and never even realised there was a menu at all. Hope this helps

Return to posts index

MatteRe: standalone dvd recorder
by on Feb 2, 2007 at 12:58:47 pm

There are times when you don't want a menu to play... AT ALL.

There are certain "continuous playback" systems that are designed to just play DVD's one-after-the-other for point-of-purchase, in-business (and other) uses.

They work from a multi-disk DVD player (just like can be done with multi-CD players set for continuos repeat).
The DVD's are supposed to load into the player, play until the end, eject, and the next DVD loads and plays, etc, over-and-over.

If a menu were to pop up at any point on any disc, the system would "hang" there as the menu looped continuously.

Return to posts index

GregRe: standalone dvd recorder
by on Feb 2, 2007 at 10:05:09 pm

We own two units that record with no menu.

First is a JVC DRM 10

The second is a Pioneer DVR 7000.

Both are older units.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved