FORUMS: list search recent posts

Setting up a Link

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ralph HajikSetting up a Link
by on Jan 16, 2007 at 6:45:50 pm

Hi All,

I don't know if this is the right forum for this question. How do you set up a Link for someone to view your short video clip and preventing them from downloading it. If someone could guide me in the right direction I really appreciate it.

Thanks

Ralph

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Setting up a Link
by on Jan 17, 2007 at 4:30:42 pm

If they want it bad enough, there are plenty of ways to get it no matter what you try.

One popular low-tech method that helps is to superimpose a large, partially-transparent logo "bug" or a time code window right across the middle of the frame, or in a corner but so big that cropping it out leaves an unusable shot. Watermarking the video like this renders it unusable for any commercial purpose but leave it visible enough for a client to make a determination about the program content.

When they start demanding a "clean" copy, you demand the money up-front:-)

Return to posts index

Perry ChengRe: Setting up a Link
by on Jan 19, 2007 at 6:01:53 pm

Or make it small enough that can not be reproduce to a DVD. e.g. 320x240 (usually this is what the web video is anyway.)

Perry

Return to posts index

Ralph HajikRe: Setting up a Link
by on Jan 19, 2007 at 6:27:06 pm

Hi Mark & Perry,

Thanks for the information. What I think I need to do is to get myself set up with a server,correct? Without a server, I can't apply a link into my postings so someone can click on it to view a web video from my computer or guide them to a file to view my pictures. Is this right?

Ralph

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Setting up a Link
by on Jan 19, 2007 at 6:41:04 pm

I'm not at all an expert in this area, but yes, you need to "host" the finished piece on a server. This is what YouTube and those other similar services do. You can do that from your own computer if it's connected to the web 24/7 but I wouldn't recommend that.

If it's for business, you'll want to set up an account with a provider that will host the file for you and have enough bandwidth/ capacity to serve many multiple streams of the thing simultaneously. If you just tried to do that from home, only a handful of people would be able to see it any any particular time, the rest would get some kind of error message and probably you'd lose the sale/contact.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 19, 2007 at 7:05:37 pm

Hi Mark

Thanks for your information and now I'll have to work on a host.

Ralph Hajik
Westmont, Il

Return to posts index

mike velteRe: Setting up a Link
by on Jan 20, 2007 at 4:36:16 pm

Make sure your host has video MIME settings or video will only download and not play.
I have used fatcow.com for years.

http://www.video2stream.com

Return to posts index

by on Jan 20, 2007 at 6:38:30 pm

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the details which is very important for a beginner like me. That's what makes the whole forum worth while.
Thanks Creative Cow.

Ralph

Return to posts index

Peter PerryRe: Setting up a Link
by on Jan 30, 2007 at 8:41:10 pm

I'm not sure if it's what you need but checkout Slingbox. It is a way to monitor a signal over the web, live.
Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]