FORUMS: list search recent posts

Doing Project for family or friends....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
You Can Call Me AlDoing Project for family or friends....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
by on Dec 24, 2006 at 3:54:04 am

I did one of those rehearsal dinner videos for one of my nephews to save my sisters behind (grooms fam is typically in charge of reh din.) and everyone liked it. I do them all the time. It only bothered me a little that the bride's father is a millionaire and the wedding was easily a $150,000 wedding. For whatever reason they did not hire a video guy to do the wedding so I got asked on the spot to do that as well and did it with a consumer cam I had on me. I did the ceremony using all my experience and made it turn out pretty good with no planning. Didn't touch the reception much except from a distance - I had to draw the line somewhere. DVD's for everyone etc.., All free. No prob. Everyone happy.
A year later the same sisses other son is having a baptism for their 2nd kid and I did it as well to be nice - no $ and none wanted. However they didn't like it as best as I can tell because I didn't put the same effort into it- for example I didn't download the 200 stills from the web and create something with them. I incorrectly assumed that filming and editing the baptiz was enough with titles and a few fancy effects. Anyway curious what people do for friends and fam? My policy was that hey I'm on vacation and doing it for free and I am going to probably do better than anyone else in the fam so unless I shoot the floor for five minutes there shouldn't be any complaints.
Sorry for the long post but I thought I would have to tell the whole story at some point.
Al

Return to posts index

Mark RaudonisRe: Doing Project for family or friends....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
by on Dec 24, 2006 at 6:29:14 am

[You Can Call Me Al] "However they didn't like it as best as I can tell"

They shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. Why do you care if they didn't like it as much? Screw them. You did them a favor. Look at it this way, they probably won't ask you to do another!

I usually deflect these kind of requests by finding out what the "requestor" does for a living and asking for a similar amount of "free" services.

"You're an attorney? Great. Let me ask you about my will. Do you think you can just write one up? For free? It won't take long with all those new fangled "digital lawyers" they've got now days. "

Stops 'em cold every time.

Mark

Return to posts index

topher944Re: Doing Project for family or friends....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
by on Dec 25, 2006 at 12:48:34 am

I love telling them that I can shoot it, but they'll have to hire an editor to edit it. My bay is available at 175$ hour but, because they're family, I'll drop it to 125 an hour. Oh, and by the way it usually takes 100 hours of editing with the 3 cameras I bring out with intricate setups and the Opening and Closing montages with intricately woven music from the bride and grooms favorite list running through the enitre video, etc. "Can't we just dub it straight over to DVD? Why yes, I say - thats about 250 an hour and there are 9 hours of footage and 2 passes are required for 2 pass encoding = 18hrs X 250! They get the picture very quickly that they've overstepped their bounds. They'll spend 10k on a wedding photographer who spends a couple of 4 hour sessions with them - but they'll barely spring for tapestock on a 100 hour job. And this happens every single time! Take Nancy's advice - Just Say NO! Best of Luck - Kind Regards, Chris K.
P.S. I do like the previous poster's advice about asking for the same hours free in return from the business the brides father owns! Can you imagine a 100 free hours from an attny, doc. or dentist?

Return to posts index

You Can Call Me AlRe: Doing Project for family or friends....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
by on Dec 25, 2006 at 5:29:08 pm

Thanks fellas for the replies.
I think it will be a blessing in disguise - no one will ask me anymore.
And I have 3 sisters each with 2 kids - all of whom are getting married and having kids etc.., I am going to work on saying no on the spot just as teh event is starting.
Al

Return to posts index

cowboyneilRe: Doing Project for family or friends....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
by on Dec 26, 2006 at 1:31:48 pm

Wow, it's funny to hear other people in the same situation. I got into video editing a few years ago and offered to do my niece's Bat mitzvah tribute video for free (she seemed to be quite popular and I was hoping to get the ball rolling). I write a script for these videos and have the kids act out the storyline (I always make sure to have a flashback scene in the story where I can use the families old photos and video footage as well). Needless to say, the project takes a good thirty hours when all is said and done). I guess the reason I'm complaining is that I have seven other neices and nephews who all expect the same treatment. My wife and I are usually taken out for dinner after the video is made but I can't help thinking that I usually charge $3500.00 per video (can't I at least get lobster)?
Neil

Return to posts index

You Can Call Me AlRe: Doing Project for family or friends....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
by on Dec 26, 2006 at 2:18:56 pm

Wooo I am feeling better. Fortunately our fam is spread out on the East Coast and I don't see them too often. When I tell them I have done my last one I think they will understand. I love to help though especially at a wedding where it is all about experience as I am sure with the Mitzvah as well. Fortunately all of my nieces and nephs are married except 2. I am going to tell them that I like certain people better in the family and thus I must stop doing the projects since it won't be fair.

Al

Return to posts index

Tom McNallyRe: Doing Project for family or friends....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
by on Dec 26, 2006 at 10:03:41 pm

My old boss used to have this issue all the time with his family. He would charge a reduced rate to cover his expenses (me). He set a precedent for all future family jobs. All family members after the first one then expected to pay something.

Tom

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Doing Project for family or friends....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
by on Dec 27, 2006 at 4:52:06 am

Well I usually say "I was looking forward to being there as one of your invited guests, and not hired help". I then offer to find them someone i know who is good but inexpensive. I did do my sister's first wedding video early in my career as my wedding gift, and I used to use samples from it as my sales demo, so I definitely got my money's worth out of that. But I probably would have drawn the line at suddenly becoming the default "freebie" guy for every event for every relative. My bottom line would be if I shoot them for free as a gift and they have a complaint, they're entitled to a refund of everything they paid.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Doing Project for family or friends....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
by on Dec 27, 2006 at 5:11:22 am

I forgot to mention this episode. Went to my In-Law's anniversary party at a nice private club. My sis in-law had money to burn, and instead of even asking me about doing one, she went ahead and hired the most expensive events video guy in town to make a music montage tape and project it at the party. Before you go and say I'm contradicitng my earlier post, let me point out this is an edit job and I had no problem making this then coming to the party as a guest to view it along with everyone else.

She and other relatives had kicked in a shoebox full of photos and slides and memorabilia weeks ahead and a list of tunes from the couple's lives, and what this guy charged them hundreds for was, he just threw the slides in in no discernable sequence, just totally random order, pre-set duration of six seconds per slide, RANDOM TRANSITIONS between each slide, no consideration of landscape versus portrait framing of the pics, and then he played each clip of music in random order with no obvious connection to the slides shown, each song just cut off after a minute and the next one dropped in. Total run time maybe fifteen minutes. Charged a premium for the video projection on-site too.

I thought I was going to puke.

The inlaws of course LOVED IT.

You have to understand, they are from a time before the invention of TV, and seeing themselves on a screen is still a miraculous thing to them.

My mother-in-law, who knows I write, produce, shoot and edit broadcast television for a living, turns to me and asks: "oh, Mark, did YOU do that?"

"NO!!!!!!!" I forcefully assert, "I swear I had nothing to do with that... production."

Had I even been aware this was being contemplated, I could have, would have, done an awesome montage for them with all the care and attention to detail of someone who was a pro at this job and also a relative. People would have wept. As it was, I wept when I found out what sis-in-law had paid for the thing. I knew the guy who does this, toured his shop. He has high schoolers throwing random stills down on a copy stand and tripping a digital stills camera, then throwing everything into an editing app very much like powerpoint. The results are what you'd expect.

But civilians just often have no concept of taste or quality, what we do has been commoditized to the point it's no longer recognized as a craft, though along with the stills it's about the only part of the day that remains after all else is gone and forgotten.

Return to posts index

ThaxRe: Doing Project for family or friends....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
by on Dec 27, 2006 at 12:29:24 pm

[Mark Suszko] "But civilians just often have no concept of taste or quality, what we do has been commoditized to the point it's no longer recognized as a craft, though along with the stills it's about the only part of the day that remains after all else is gone and forgotten."

Your whole post made me cringe with familiar recognition.

The more "hideous" the transitions and timing, the more "civilians" NOTICE them.
"Power-Point" (the scourge of the business) and its ilk have made random non-sequitur pacing and transitions common and accepted in most every two-bit amateur "production."

On the screen you'll see a badly cropped image of the last-known photo of "Great Uncle Bill" on his death-bed... suddenly making flying circular passes to reveal little "Devon" eating ice cream for the first time... all set to the tune of "We Are the Champions" makes for a snappy Golden Wedding celebration!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, indeed!

Return to posts index

Tom McNallyRe: Doing Project for family or friends....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
by on Dec 27, 2006 at 3:10:09 pm

We had the process down when I was working there. We both shot the wedding if it was 2 camera. If it was a 1 camera shoot, it was just him. I always shot the cocktail hour and reception.

Although I did not enjoy shooting events that much, he always made it easier when he was on the dance floor with his family. He'd get the crowd going and then nonchalantly set up shots while he was dancing. You could say he was working while I was shooting, but deep down, he was having a blast. No doubt having a 2nd man available made this possible so he could enjoy the party.

Tom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]