FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on nonlinear editing systems

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morris BarrierAdvice on nonlinear editing systems
by on Nov 29, 2006 at 4:12:14 pm

Given the topic I expect strong opinions. I currently have Final Cut Pro HD on my Mac but am willing to go with a new system if it is more condusive to my needs. I video weddings and am looking for the system that is most geared to editing events, or just the best all around system for the business using DV, DVC, and HD cameras, etc. We're talking smalltime so Avid Media Composer isn't for me. Any advice? Currently I don't own a capture card so life is very difficult for me. I hate to leave the Mac world but PC hardware is SO much cheaper and easier to support so I'm willing to go that way as well.

Morris Barrier

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Advice on nonlinear editing systems
by on Nov 29, 2006 at 9:04:55 pm

Well a lot of wedding/event guys swear by Vegas on the PC.

Of course, with a new dual-boot capable mac, you really can run any darn thing you care to, though in the short term there may not be all the drivers and etc. written for every version of every app.

My own feeling is to stick with what you have and master it even more. The system that's best is the system you are most comfortable with and that you are most trained on. That will always beat any other "superior" hardware, because the tool is the lesser half of the combination. It's not the hardware, nor the software, it's your "wetware". i.e. what's between your ears, that's the most important element.

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: Advice on nonlinear editing systems
by on Nov 30, 2006 at 3:41:22 am

Switching NLEs can be a bit of a pain. I'd say you should only do it if you have a good reason. So far I haven't seen one in your post.

Is there anything about Final Cut Pro you don't like? If so, that could help us give you advice on what to switch to. If, on the other hand, you're happy with it, why switch?

And what's your price range for a computer? I find it difficult to believe you're finding a PC that's very much cheaper than a Mac. Maybe slightly, but it shouldn't be enough to matter when it comes to a business decision. If you're buying a home computer $100 here or there can make a difference, but when it comes to work such amounts shouldn't deter you from getting what you're happy working with.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved