FORUMS: list search recent posts

Needing information, please.

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James WilliamsNeeding information, please.
by on Oct 19, 2006 at 3:56:08 pm

I'm a long time vegas user and find this forum invaluable.
I do a lot of presentaion stuff. I've decided not to do weddings anymore.
They dont seem to tap my creative abilities. I want to do some documentaries and/or biographies about local people in my area. Could you tell me or point me to information about the legal in's and out's of this. Also how do i make money if i'm the one requesting to do a piece about a person, they agree, and i do the piece. Marketing, percentages, ect...
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Doug GrahamRe: Needing information, please.
by on Oct 20, 2006 at 2:14:36 pm

Seems to me there are two ways to market documentaries.

One is to pitch the idea of a "video history" to the person it's about (or their family, or their company). If you make the sale, you do the job. If not, you resume the search for a client.

The other requires that the person have a story that will be interesting to a lot of people. In that case, you pitch the idea to one of the cable channels, like the Biography Channel or Discovery. If they like the idea, they pay for it.

Doug Graham

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Needing information, please.
by on Oct 20, 2006 at 3:42:09 pm

Find the local Historical Society and attend a meeting. Find out what historic preservation projects are currently working in your town. Then you can offer your services making SEVERAL projects: The actual documentary of the subject, a fundraiser tape that asks people to vote for something or contribute to something, and a documentary about the whole process, instructing other organizations how you and the organization went about saving the Old Mill or whatever it is... These pieces can be put on your website as samples of your work to generate more jobs.

Return to posts index

James WilliamsRe: Needing information, please.
by on Oct 21, 2006 at 2:38:43 pm

Thanks for the heads up. These approaches should definitely get me started.
J. Williams

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved