FORUMS: list search recent posts

Just starting out... must be Wedding Videographer?

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek JohnsonJust starting out... must be Wedding Videographer?
by on Oct 18, 2006 at 5:36:12 am

I need help.

After over 15 years of running AV departments in hotels, I decided to freelance and specialize in video. For the past two years, I had been moonlighting, writing and producing short films with my DVX100a, DV Rack, a cheap light kit, and editing with Vegas and Premiere Pro.

I begged one of the best production houses for an internship. After working alongside the best of the industry for a few months, I realize I'm a novice. I can't edit for Cartoon Network, shoot for the CBS Sports, or pre-light a set for a commercial... yet.

Is the best (only?) serious option out there for a guy being a Wedding Videographer? I want to work for MYSELF, make a living, invest in more gear... and get better every year.

I've shot a couple of weddings. Rather do corporate type stuff. What is out there to pursue?

Return to posts index

Doug GrahamRe: Just starting out... must be Wedding Videographer?
by on Oct 18, 2006 at 2:00:45 pm

Wedding video is by no means your only option -- and if you don't like it, then you shouldn't try to force yourself into that mold.

Believe me, there are a lot of shooters and editors out there doing corporate work who couldn't get a job with CBS or Cartoon Network either. People who have far less experience than you are billing themselves as video professionals, and are making a living at it.

But, as the Wizard said to the Tin Man, they've got one thing you haven't got...an ego. Work on that self-confidence.

Keep right on interning...or at least learning. Keep right on moonlighting. One of these days, you're going to find you no longer have time to get it all done, and that's when you quit the day job and go full time freelance.

Return to posts index

Derek JohnsonRe: Just starting out... must be Wedding Videographer?
by on Oct 18, 2006 at 4:10:50 pm

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I am taking you advice in improving: I devote at least an hour per day to video training.

I guess I should have asked, "HOW can I make a living, without being a Wedding Videographer?"

It seems like the demand for low budget music videos, narrative work, I-mag, and training videos pales to wedding video.

Return to posts index

Doug GrahamRe: Just starting out... must be Wedding Videographer?
by on Oct 19, 2006 at 1:34:54 pm

I suggest you get Hal Landen's "Video Producer Home Study Course", available at http://www.videouniversity.com

It's a short course in how to do corporate video. Hal offers a money-back guarantee if you're not satisfied.

Corporate video projects are more than just training videos. Here are some possibilities:
- Internal video introducing new product to sales force.
- Product demo video for potential clients
- Trade Show demos
- Commercials (for a specific product, or for the company as a whole)
- Video of annual meeting or sales convention
- Message from the CEO
- Record of important meetings or presentations
- Company History
- Company video "newsletter"
- "Roast" video for departing executive
- Video documentation of construction project
- Video documentation of product testing
- And of course, training videos!

Return to posts index

Derek JohnsonRe: Just starting out... must be Wedding Videographer?
by on Oct 19, 2006 at 3:12:24 pm

Doug...

Great post. This is exactly what I'm looking for... and more. Guarantee cinches it for me. Will check out course.

Thanks bud...

Derek

Return to posts index

cpdurhamRe: Just starting out... must be Wedding Videographer?
by on Oct 21, 2006 at 10:47:39 pm

I was in the same position 3 years ago, and still searching for the best way to get into "other" types of video work. But weddings have been fun, and the contacts you make there can lead to other types of work.

I would just use the resources you have and get some experience; I video taped a sales conference for an old company I used to work for, I did a commercial for pretty cheap for my sister's company, I did a training video for a school I was working at....all of these opportunities gave me a chance to build my reel and go out there better prepared to get the bigger jobs.

Best of luck.

Carter Durham
http://www.netinfomercialsecrets.com/?vip=2425

Return to posts index

Bruce Bennett in Madison, WIRe: Just starting out... must be Wedding Videographer?
by on Nov 4, 2006 at 6:05:28 pm

Lots of good advice so far. When I started out 14 years ago, I worked 20-hours a week for free at a post house while putting in 40-hours at my paying job. After 6 months, I was hired as a sales guy with the opportunity to advance into production. The post house was a "lower end" house that shot on S-VHS and posted on 3/4-inch while most competitors shot and edited on Betacam SP (in my market, there was no digiBeta, D2, D1 or HDTV back then).
What I did was find smaller, cheaper-speding businesses that didn't mind cheaper, lower-format quality productions. Eight years later, some clients grew with our business to Betacam SP and Avid editing, others dropped off because they didn't want to pay for better quality. In my experience, smaller business care more about ROI, content, style and caftsmanship a lot more than what quality format you use.

Good luck!

Bruce Bennett,
Bennett Marketing & Media Production, LLC - http://www.bmmp.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]