FORUMS: list search recent posts

direct to hard drive recording

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Whirler
direct to hard drive recording
on Sep 9, 2006 at 6:53:25 pm

Does anyone know whether through firewire or any other means, a dv vid cam can record direct to a hard drive? Is this possible or is there technology available to allow this to happen. I'm not talking about the new built in hard drives, I mean while recording an event, you hook up your tape based cam to a laptop and then go straight from tape to hard drive in real time?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Matte
Re: direct to hard drive recording
on Sep 9, 2006 at 7:15:07 pm

Sure.

You need to record directly to your Editing Software via FireWire.

It works just like capturing a tape, but you set up your editing software to NOT operate the camcorder's "controls" but to just capture the incoming video.

In Final Cut Pro the setting is for "non-controllable device."

Return to posts index

Whirler
on Sep 9, 2006 at 7:21:35 pm

Thanks for your reply... does it capture to tape first and then to the software? The main reason I ask is that I'm looking for a tapeless solution where I can record straight for 7 -8 hrs or more without changing the tape.

Return to posts index

Matte
on Sep 9, 2006 at 9:43:25 pm

It doesn't involve tape at all.
You are only recording to the computer's HD.
8 hours at DV quality will fill up approx. 104GB of space.

Now, I simply will not do this myself, as if there is some sort of glitch during the capture, you COULD likely lose EVERYTHING in that file, but others seem to like this method, so you can certainly try it.
I would stop recording and then start a new "file" for the next section as often as there is a break in the "action."

There's a more reliable method to long-term recording on miniDV tapes (if you lose anything, it would likely only be on ONE of the tapes.

Just connect a second camcorder via FW to the FW output of the first camcorder.
At approx. the 1-hour mark, you'd just put the second camcorder into the record mode and it would continue on the second tape for another hour. Then go back to the first camcorder's deck with HOUR 3... and so-forth.
This method will work with ANY FW camcorder, even an inexpensive "home video" 1-CCD type.
Since all you are using the second camera for is its "tape deck" section, the CCD quality does not come into play... the quality of the DV tape recording it makes will be identical to your main camcorder.
I have bought many of these "back-up" DV camcorders, used, for around $150 each (Pawn shops, eBay).

There's also the use of 80 minute DV tapes.
I have used these "thinner" tapes many times and had no problems, but there is always the risk of having a failure due to the more fragile nature of a thinner tape.

Return to posts index

Whirler
on Sep 9, 2006 at 10:25:31 pm

Thats fantastic, I've never heard of this approach, thanks very much!

Return to posts index

markp_92647
on Sep 11, 2006 at 5:30:52 am

How about DV rack @ $150 and a mid grade laptop you can record to tape, and lptop at the same time and never stop the action

Return to posts index

zrb123
on Sep 17, 2006 at 10:35:53 pm

Just get a firestore for your camera that way you dont need a computer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]