FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cameraman will work for free, LA/Orange County

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sewellyboy
Cameraman will work for free, LA/Orange County
on Sep 7, 2006 at 8:30:40 pm

First you may think I am crazy advertising that I will work for free, but I can assure you I am not crazy and my offer is very valid.
I am trying to get into the event videography business (mainly weddings/personal shots/Party

Return to posts index

Tom
Re: Cameraman will work for free, LA/Orange County
by
on Sep 8, 2006 at 11:16:16 am

You might want to look at the jobs forum. I personally would never post to work for free. You will never get past that point and people will put a label on you. You have skill Don't be afraid to tell people about the skills you have. People want people with confidence. hope all works for you.
best wishes
Tom

Return to posts index

Doug Graham
on Sep 8, 2006 at 1:56:10 pm

Jason,

I second Tom's advice. There are tons of event videographers in Southern California, and many of them need a good second shooter, either occasionally or on a regular basis.

They know that many of these shooters, like you, aspire to become their competitors...but they hire and pay them anyway, because they are nice people, because they need the help, and because they know that someday you'll refer a potential client to them when you're already booked on that date.

First, take a look at your Yellow Pages directory, and start calling the event shooters you'll find under "Video Services". There are some under "Photographers", too.

Next, see if there is a local videographers' association in your area. Both WEVA and the 4EVER Group may be of help in getting in touch with a local group.

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

Sewellyboy
on Sep 8, 2006 at 2:10:10 pm

Thanks for the advice fellas. Maybe I am going about it all wrong. My intention was to do a few shoots for free, maybe 2 or 3. Just to get some material for my portfolio. But you recommend just charging right off the bat?

Return to posts index

promoboy
on Sep 8, 2006 at 2:48:26 pm

Unless you're the wolrd's worst photographer/videographer, definitely charge. And if you are the world's worst photographer/videographer...well...maybe think about following another career path? :-)

You're obviously (hopefully) not the world's worst, and since you'd be providing a service by running a 2nd or 3rd or whatever number camera you should be paid for it. Maybe not the full rate of a seasoned professional, but if you go in doing it for zero dollars then that's what everyone will think you're worth--ZERO. I don't know about you, but my time is worth more than a "Thanks, the next time I need someone and don't want to pay I'll call you so you can get more 'experience'".
Charge a fair price, shoot the absolute best you can, get your experience, put together a portfolio, get some clients of your own, raise your rates...rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat.

Mike.

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
on Sep 8, 2006 at 3:55:05 pm

Thanks for the advice fellas. Maybe I am going about it all wrong. My intention was to do a few shoots for free, maybe 2 or 3. Just to get some material for my portfolio. But you recommend just charging right off the bat?

=======

You should charge, but the key is in what kind of work to look for. Don't offer to bring your own gear or anything at first...look for people who just need help carrying stuff or setting up tripods.

In other words, don't try to call a guy with 1 camera and offer to bring your own camera and do half his shoot for him your first time out. Find some place that offers big packages...the kind of place that would have 2 of their own shooters and would bring you along as a 3rd person...someone to carry bags and set up tripods.

THAT can be your 2 or 3 jobs to get into the hang of things. You KNOW how to shoot already, what you need is just get into a wedding and observe the timing and workflow. Use the time to learn the things you don't know. You know how to use a camera but watch WHERE they set up, WHAT they focus on, and HOW they work their way around an event.

You should be able to pick up on those kinds of things very quickly, but it's very important to see it all work out in front of you. You don't want your first wedding to be something where you're in charge of getting shots. Put yourself in a more passive role and treat the whole day as a classroom.

Return to posts index

Sewellyboy
on Sep 8, 2006 at 4:31:20 pm

Jeff, I think you understood exactly what I was trying to say, but I guess I advertised it wrong. I definately was looking to learn the whole work flow before I jumped in and took the lead. It's not like I'm learning how to shoot video, I'm just trying to learn the work flow, understand where to be for the best shots etc....etc.....
I should have took more time to be a advertise a little more clearly.

Return to posts index

Jeff Carpenter
on Sep 8, 2006 at 6:26:42 pm

When I hear people say "I'll work for free" I've learned that it REALLY means "I need the chance to observe, please don't put too much responsibility on me too quickly!"

That's a very good position to take, but it doesn't mean you can't earn a little money while you're doing it!

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Markyyyy
on Sep 24, 2006 at 12:02:55 am

Like Tom said, confidence is the key... I you know what your doing, then go out there and sell that... if you don't know what your doing and want to learn, then make some money doing it.

don't forget that we make a living out of this, everytime somebody does that, someone looses a job. it slowly kills the market...

I've lost jobs to guys who had a 9-5 job, and was doing that on the side... For a day of shoot + 1 day editing, he charged $200.00...

don't do that, you'll see it doesn't pay in the long run...

markyyy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]