FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any alternative's to printing labels?

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jdAny alternative's to printing labels?
by on Sep 5, 2006 at 12:36:31 pm

Hi ,
Besides the high cost printers out there does any body have any low to mid cost alternative solutions for printing labels?

All the best ,
JD

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: Any alternative's to printing labels?
by on Sep 5, 2006 at 2:58:45 pm

You're talking about DVDs, right?

The high cost of the machines you're talking about usually has more to do with the robotics involved in moving 25 or 50 discs automatically from bin to printer to bin with some kind of robot arm. If you're happy doing 1 disc at a time you don't have to spend a lot.

For example, let's look at what $1,900 can get you:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&...

...but it's not the printer part of it that's expensive. It's the robot arm.

If you're happy with only using 1 color ink, take a look at this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&...

For only $139 you can get a thermal printer...that's a better quality printer than you get in the $1,900 machine! Yes, just 1 color, but it will look very sharp.

If you want a full range of colors then check out Best Buy for the Epson R220:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7384948&st=DVD+Printer&type=p...

For $99 you can get a pretty decent printer. It's not going to have the exact quality of a $2,000 machine, but it will certainly be very good for the price!

Return to posts index

jdRe: Any alternative's to printing labels?
by on Sep 6, 2006 at 12:38:25 am

Jeff,
Thank you for the plethora of information on DVD printing and labeling.
I had no idea about the Epson R220 or the Primera, I'll be looking into one of these as an option. Robot arms are cool-but too expensive.
Thanks again with the help. Creative Cow is awesome!

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: Buying Discs
by on Sep 6, 2006 at 2:38:42 pm

Oh, something that might be obvious to you, but I thought I should mention anyway:

Those two types of printers take different types of discs. The EPSON uses "printable DVDs" that feel kind of soft...not quite like paper, but close to that.

The thermal printer needs discs that specifically say they're for thermal printing. Their surface is a hard, glossy plastic.

Like I said, it should be obvious but even KNOWING the difference myself I have, in the past, bought the wrong thing by not paying enough attention.. Having made that mistake I know it's not fun and just wanted to warn you.

Return to posts index

jdRe: Buying Discs
by on Sep 8, 2006 at 11:48:00 am

Jeff,
I did not know that. That's one of the reasons why I always check out Creative Cow. I worked for Media 100 for 3 years,(2000-2003), where I first started visiting here, and I'm real thankfull of this group,yourself and everyone else who makes constructive contributions.
Thanks again !!!!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]