FORUMS: list search recent posts

Microphone for Minidisc

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan PlankMicrophone for Minidisc
by on Aug 25, 2006 at 11:47:49 am

This is my first post to the COW so please be gentle. I couldn't afford the expensive UHF wireless mics so I bought a cheap VHF one about a year ago when I first started doing weddings. I finally got tired of all the interference and decided I'd be better off putting a MD on the groom. I already had one Sony MD and have had great success with it. The problem is that when I ordered and received my new Sony MD, the stereo mic that came with it is rather large and silver. It produces great sound, but you obviously can't put this on a groom. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good quality mic (preferably stereo) with a 1/8" plug that is black and small enough to put on the groom's lapel.

Thanks in advance for all of your help. I have been lurking for a while and love this place.

Thanks again. Dan

Return to posts index

Doug GrahamRe: Microphone for Minidisc
by on Aug 25, 2006 at 4:18:11 pm

Don't worry about stereo...most mics are mono. Either record the same mono signal to both channels, or record to one channel and duplicate the track in post.

A good lavalier is the Sony ECM-144. I also knew one videographer who swore by Tram mics. However, even a little $15 lav from Radio Shack will work with the MD, and should give perfectly acceptable performance for voice capture.

Doug Graham

Return to posts index

Mark GoldbergRe: Microphone for Minidisc
by on Aug 30, 2006 at 4:59:03 pm

Mic depends on what MiniDisc you have. Mine is a higher level consumer unit which supplies a powering voltage to the microphone via the two-conductor tip+sleeve connection. I use a lavalier mic left over from an Azden wireless system. It works great with the MDR and doesn't need its own battery.

If you look on the consumer part of the Sony Electronics website, you will find a model that is similar, coming with a battery compartment for standalone use or allowing powering with the recording device. I think the mic sells for about $80.

If you get a more professional ECM, then you will need to adapt from its XLR balanced connection.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved