FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone cutting live in the field?

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark BairdAnyone cutting live in the field?
by on Jul 12, 2006 at 8:37:52 pm

Using Sony Anycast or Tricaster or any of the other products out there?

I am interested in hearing the good/bad/ugly reports on these products as we are looking to buy something of this nature.

Return to posts index

Mark RaudonisRe: Anyone cutting live in the field?
by on Jul 13, 2006 at 2:41:00 am

Check this out:

It's not a hardware based system, but software based. You can feed in cameras via firewire and do much, more more than Anycaster or Tricaster. This is a truly revolutionary product.

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: Anyone cutting live in the field?
by on Jul 13, 2006 at 6:49:00 pm

One of the things not often mentioned by these various systems is they have limitations on how many DV sources you can take in thru firewire. I believe on the Sony and the Tricaster, you actually are using analog video inputs off BNC cables, not Firewire. To me, this is not a big deal, as the pictures coming out of the camcorder's analog spigots look pretty good, and quality BNC cable is WAY cheaper than firewire for long runs like you might use ina theater or club setting. Plus if you want to re-edit later, you have the iso tapes you rolled in each camcorder for that firewire edit. But some people insist on switching actual DV streams in realtime, all the time, for multiple cams, and this might be a deal breaker for such people.
So, just be sure to read the fine print onthe spec sheets and know what you're getting. I used to suggest ChannelStorm livechannel on ibook for a field switching/recording solution on a budget, until I read the fine print that you could only have one live DV input, the second camera had to be something like a USB webcam. For some folks that's good enough, for others, it's not.

B&H catalog shows a stand-alone DV switcher, 4-input, for under a grand from Edirol, I think that's a subsidiay of the audio gear maker Roland. If that can switch 4 live DV firewire inputs cleanly, without any delays, for under a grand, it's phenominal.

Return to posts index

Bob FarrellRe: Anyone cutting live in the field?
by on Mar 19, 2008 at 8:48:40 am

Thanks for the intro to wirecast, but we don't want to send the edited video to the internet, but rather output the AVI file to either a DV recorder or hard drive in AVI format. Any way to do this? The outputs from wirecast seem to be only mpg. We need AVI!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved