FORUMS: list search recent posts

JVC GY-DV500U Purchase

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin HerrinJVC GY-DV500U Purchase
by on Jul 10, 2006 at 6:53:44 pm

Hi all,
I am looking to make a camera purchase for doing weddings/corporate work and wanted know what you all thought of the JVC GY-DV500U. Also, is it a viable camera in the emerging HD/HDV market? Any known problems inherrent to this model? Last, what would a good price be for a used one with 200 to 800 hundred hours(I am looking at 2 cameras).
Thanks for you input.

Return to posts index

David JonesRe: JVC GY-DV500U Purchase
by on Jul 10, 2006 at 11:01:32 pm

[Kevin Herrin] "Also, is it a viable camera in the emerging HD/HDV market?"

Considering the fact that it is a standard def DV camera, I would have to say... NO!

Return to posts index

Kevin HerrinRe: JVC GY-DV500U Purchase
by on Jul 11, 2006 at 3:27:25 am

I was wondering if it is wise to purchase a sd camera with all of the hd cameras coming out. Do you think that clients still want sd?

Return to posts index

robertbecRe: JVC GY-DV500U Purchase
by on Jul 11, 2006 at 6:26:56 am

Hd cameras that are 1/3 are no good thats why you can by sony and jvc so cheep if you want HD it has to be 2/3 camera thats if you got the money
all these hand held HD cameras are no good still early days
i know alot of very unhappy HD owners as i said you have to spend the money to get a very good HD camera
if you only shoot sd go for it just dont buy HD and shoot with DV tapes unless you want vhs quality.

Return to posts index

tomRe: JVC GY-DV500U Purchase
by on Jul 11, 2006 at 10:46:45 am

First, go to a good dealer and get hands on and ask questions. The post that says 1/3 chip is no good is miss informed. The new Panasonic is doing quite well with real hd. Learn what the difference is between Hd and HDV. You ask if the clients will still want sd ? How would you deliver a finished HD product to them ? You have got to do a little more research

Return to posts index

Doug GrahamRe: JVC GY-DV500U Purchase
by on Jul 11, 2006 at 1:35:51 pm

Well, I'm about to sell my DV500U and complete my studio's upgrade to HDV...with those "no good" 1/3" chip cameras.

On the other hand, I'm worried that maybe I'm making this move one or two years too early for my local market. The DV500 is an excellent camera, especially if it's upgraded with a better lens. Even with the stock lens, it's better than any of the handheld DV camcorders.

If you're doing corporate work, the big, shoulder-mounted camera helps reassure your clients that they're dealing with a pro, and the cam's low light ability makes it well suited for weddings and events.

Only you can decide whether you need to go HDV or stay with DV for a while, but the DV500 (or its later sibling, the DV5000) is a good choice, and used models with low hours can be found for very reasonable prices.

Doug Graham

Return to posts index

Kevin HerrinRe: JVC GY-DV500U Purchase
by on Jul 11, 2006 at 3:11:42 pm

Thanks for the info, that helps.
At work we jumped into HDV(JVC), I think we did it way too soon. There has been alot of growing pains as a result. I can't tell you the amount of asprin I have taken because of HDV. Though, I will say the pictures are amazing, but it takes time to learn how to shoot progressive, especially 30p.

Return to posts index

George SockaRe: JVC GY-DV500U Purchase
by on Jul 15, 2006 at 3:31:13 am

This was a good camera 4 - 5 years ago when I baught it. by modern standards it is marginal ( still use mine tho )

No auto focus

No LCD screen

Heavy, short life NP1 batteries

Expensive (compared to LANC) zoom/focus controller option

Requires tripod plate - make sure it is included in used purchase

No way to skip to end of last shot

It has real zoom, focus

2 Real mic inputs with good sound ( compared to 5000 )

Great picture (still) even with cheap lens, better with Canon IF that was offered

Real switches - haven't looked at the menus in years

BNC connectors

real lens

I will hang onto mine for another year or two - until HVX200 drops in price or mid priced hard drive camera comes out

Return to posts index

Jonny FilsingerRe: JVC GY-DV500U Purchase
by on Jul 21, 2006 at 2:14:45 am

I have 2 JVC 500s and if I could find another one at a great price, I'd get a third. We shoot 2-3 tv commercials per week using these cameras and our stuff lookes great. Go to my website and look at some samples.
Our site has not been updated in about 4 months because we're too busy. We will eventully switch to HDV, but now is not the time. I purchased my second 500 about 3 months ago for $1,800.00 and it had only 46 head hours on it. That was with a the camera bag, power supply, 2 batteries and a dual cavity fast charger.
My buddy also owns a video production business primarily shooting commercials using a Sony FX1. The agencies we both deal with constantly comment that our footage looks better. Everything is dumped to Beta SP anyway at this time. I hope this helps.

Jonny Filsinger
Master Video Productions
Memphis, TN 38133

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved