FORUMS: list search recent posts

help with shot stabilization

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aprildentisthelp with shot stabilization
by on Jun 7, 2006 at 9:08:52 pm

I have a Panasonic GS-V120, a 3CCD palmcorder.

I am wondering what's out there to help shot stabilization when shooting an event where I'm not on tripod and am moving around a lot (i.e. a band). Is that what mini tripods are for? Or monopods? I thought I heard of a type of contraption you wear around your waist? Any advice or links are greatly appreciated!

(I do make sure to turn EIS on)

Return to posts index

Perry ChengRe: help with shot stabilization
by on Jun 7, 2006 at 9:56:14 pm

Do a web search for video stablizer and you may be surprised of how many links come up. Some cost $$$$ (or more) while others cost 2$ (home made). I personally own a glidecam 2000 (do a search for their link) but heard some great feedback for "Spider Brace' (6$) (Your best bet for the money).

Return to posts index

Post removed.

Post removed.

Post removed.

SkaterGuyRe: help with shot stabilization
by on Jun 9, 2006 at 5:37:44 pm

Yes to a Monopod or Chestpod.

I've got a Bogen Monopod, and another make Chestpod (with custom made handles). Both are modified for using an IF Remote thru fiberoptic cable to the Cam for Zooming. Also the Monopod can be set up to connect to a waist receiver if desired.

Can send you Pics, but not sure how to do it on this Forum. If you can E-Mail me I can send Pics to you directly.

Return to posts index

AprildentistRe: help with shot stabilization
by on Jun 9, 2006 at 6:20:19 pm

Thanks, gotten lots of suggestions and links, think I'm on the right track!

Return to posts index

Doug GrahamRe: help with shot stabilization
by on Jun 14, 2006 at 2:12:56 pm

There are lots of alternatives, but they break down pretty much as follows:

1. Monopods. After trying various shoulder braces and chest pods, I like the monopod best for its combination of portability and stability, but that's a personal choice. Some monopods have little feet for added stability, and/or you can mount a fluid head on them for pans/tilts. In a pinch, your tripod can double as a monopod...just collapse the legs together.

2. Shoulder braces. These help, especially the ones that also have a chest brace. However, even a simple stick that rests on your shoulder will give some additional steadying, and the simplicity allows you to move the camera for Dutch angles, or tuck the stick in your armpit for a lower angle shot.

Neither of the above will help much for moving shots. For that, you need:

3. Stabilizer rigs. The simplest of these are supported by your arm alone. The camera is gimbaled and counterweighted so that it doesn't shake (as much) when you move. These rigs tire your arm quickly; the alternative is to support the camera on an articulated arm that's attached to a rigid vest that transfers the weight to your body. Such a full-up stabilizer rig will run you $3,000 on up to $20,000 for professional Steadicam equipment.

There are a few outlying gadgets, such as the FigRig (a steering wheel with your camcorder mounted at the hub) or the TortleRig (a pole that sticks up over your shoulder, with the camera suspended on a bungee cord from it).

If you want to experiment with a stabilizer, I like the Varizoom FlowPod. This is a nice monopod, but also has a gimbaled handle and can be used as a hand-held stabilizer.

Doug Graham

Return to posts index

markp_92647Re: help with shot stabilization
by on Jun 17, 2006 at 4:06:06 am

Markp_92647 here

if you not mind sending me some pics, they would be greatly appreciated

thank you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved