FORUMS: list search recent posts

DCR-VX2100 Purchase

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JbthomasDCR-VX2100 Purchase
by on May 22, 2006 at 2:38:13 pm

I was looking for a good price for a DCR-VX2100 and saw that Royal Camera had a price of $1369 which is quite a bit lower than say B & H at $2200. Has anyone dealt with Royal Camera before? That is a pretty good savings and it would afford me to get some more gear.

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: DCR-VX2100 Purchase
by on May 22, 2006 at 3:03:28 pm

I'm always a bit warry of any website that doesn't give you their mailing address on the website.

I think this is them, however: at least it's a real place.

But ignoring the address thing, the "to-good-to-be-true" prices usually are. It may end up being be a camera without any of the accessories that are supposed to come with it and the warrenty won't be valid because it's a camera that wasn't meant to be sold in the U.S. or something like that.

I am NOT saying that this company is like that...I have no knowledge of them at all...but I'm just warning you that these really great-deal web sites often turn out to be things like that.

But perhaps it's a perfectly fine used camera that's been checked out and works great. That could explain the low price. I really don't know, but I would suggest calling them on the phone and asking a few questions before you buy anything. It doesn't really matter WHAT you ask about, just talk to them so you can get a sense of how readily they want to answer questions about it.

Return to posts index

Peter RalphRe: DCR-VX2100 price drop?
by on May 22, 2006 at 4:43:20 pm

google royal camera - they are a rip-off. No retailer can undercut B&H by more than 10% or so.

More pertinent is wether a major price drop is imminent for the VX2100 and PD170.

Return to posts index

Jeff CarpenterRe: Google them
by on May 22, 2006 at 6:17:32 pm

lol - "Google them" is the prize-winning answer of the day!

LOTS of fun reading there. I mean, fun for the people who haven't ordered anything from them. For the people posting...not so fun.

Return to posts index

BobRe: DCR-VX2100 Purchase
by on May 22, 2006 at 4:48:40 pm

Run, don't walk, away from this "retailer". HORRIBLE experiences posted online. CAVEAT EMPTOR

Return to posts index

SydneySRe: DCR-VX2100 Purchase
by on May 22, 2006 at 5:39:46 pm

I will third this... STAY AWAY from Royal Camera (As well as the other company names they hide behind). What these scam companies do is this... They'll take all of the accessories that originally came with the camera from the factory out of the box, advertise the stripped down version on their web site for a lower price, get you on the phone with a surly jackass, attempt to sell you the accessories at inflated prices as well as a ridiculous "Warranty", and then tell you the item is on "Back Order" for at least 21 days. Yes, I've dealt with them, but they didn't get my money. B&H on the other hand, has gotten close to $30,000 of my money, mainly due to very fast and reliable service and honesty... A reputable company will be honest about back-ordered items, among other things... And, they don't make a practice of threatening you over the phone, or throwing out random insults and attitude... Royal Camera, on the other hand...

Return to posts index

Doug GrahamRe: DCR-VX2100 Purchase
by on May 24, 2006 at 2:03:17 pm

Broadway Photo is another one of these sleazy low-ballers.

Before buying from any mailorder firm, check them out at

Doug Graham

Return to posts index

Mark GoldbergRe: DCR-VX2100 Purchase
by on Jun 14, 2006 at 1:51:03 pm

Two things.

1. If you read an unusually low price from a dealer, you better check the dealer out as the other posters suggested. Many of these low-ballers practice bait and switch techniques, calling you after your order trying to sell you the accessories that normally come with a new camera, or other way-overpriced stuff. You may also find them charging close to $100 for shipping!

2. My personal opinion is that if you are in professional event video, the best move now is to get into some form of HD. I just got a Sony Z1 and I'm thrilled with it. My feeling was that it did not make sense to replace my aging DV camcorders with standard def equipment in the age of HD and widescreen.

I have had great experience with B&H Photo. They are reputable and their delivery is FAST. For non pro stuff I also like

Return to posts index

Ralph HajikRe: DCR-VX2100 Purchase
by on Jun 19, 2006 at 4:12:15 am

HI All,

After reading this post, I do have to say that B&H Photo has a great reputation. I purchase all my photo & video camera gear from them. When I was in New York City, I actually went to B&H Photo just to see their store and I was really impressed. The sales staff helped me out with a few questions that I had and were very polite. I wish there was a B&H Photo in Chicagoland area. That's ok though, shipping is fast and there's no tax since I from out of state. I'll always buy from B&H Photo because I want nothing but the best service and advice when I purchase something.

Ralph Hajik
Westmont, IL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved