FORUMS: list search recent posts

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
by on May 10, 2006 at 7:12:05 pm

Has anyone here ever toyed with sending footage through ftp to their editor
or partner?
I'm wondering if there is a fast, easy way of transferring a couple hours' worth of
mini-dv footage through computers...

Return to posts index

Craig SeemanRe: ftping
by on May 12, 2006 at 2:15:00 pm

Firewire/USB hard drive is fast. Gigibit Ethernet is fast too. I've seen routers well under $100 that support that. In those cases I simply set up the computers on the network. You can use ftp but you can set it up for simple drag and drop. If you want to do this over the internet both parties need very fast connections. If you're dealing with hours of video you'd likely have to pay major dollars for a "business" connection. I've done a couple of gigs on mine without problem on my very fast consumer connection (15mbits down/2mbits up per second)

Return to posts index

Mark SuszkoRe: ftping
by on May 12, 2006 at 3:19:13 pm

Telestream makes systems for this, clipmail and flipfactory. Google them.

Return to posts index

BobRe: ftping
by on May 13, 2006 at 11:13:32 am

Man... who's your ISP? 15/2 is awesome.

Return to posts index

Craig SeemanRe: ftping
by on May 13, 2006 at 2:20:02 pm

[Bob] "Man... who's your ISP? 15/2 is awesome."
Optonline. They're in NY,NJ,CT. For an extra $10 a month you can get 30/2 service! I believe they'll be rolling out a more expensive 50/50 service! That upload speed would be major awsome for some small video shops. BTW FIOS is moving in to some areas around here and they offer 30/5.

Here's a great place to find avg speeds of various providers around the world based on actual user speed tests.
Note in the upper right you can type in your zip and see what speeds are like in your area.

You'll see the optonline ranks 4th and it'll go up as the continue to convert their system from 10/1 to 15/2 (with no additional fees for the upgrade).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved