FORUMS: list search recent posts

On-Camera Light Selection for Wedding Videography

COW Forums : Event Videographers

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jerniganbrandonOn-Camera Light Selection for Wedding Videography
by on May 9, 2006 at 5:29:23 am

Hi, I am looking to buy an on-camera light that should have been bought ages ago. I have used a light(30W Bescor)with a battery belt before. I was looking around on B&H and found one that cost around $279. It is a 50W dimmable light with barndoors and a dichroic filter. This kit also includes a 12v, 12 amp hour battery belt. So basically my question is - Will this be one of the "better selections" in terms of wedding videography? Or should I save my money and go with something cheaper and be just as good? Thanks!

Brandon Jernigan
jerniganbrandon@gmail.com
Video Concepts Productions
http://www.videoconceptsproductions.com

Return to posts index

Peter RalphRe: On-Camera Light Selection for Wedding Videography
by on May 9, 2006 at 3:01:41 pm

a dimmable light with barndoors is a good investment. If you can afford it a lighter battery belt (not lead acid) is something to look into

Return to posts index

Doug GrahamRe: On-Camera Light Selection for Wedding Videography
by on May 9, 2006 at 3:06:28 pm

That's a pretty good deal for a light, dimmer, and belt. The belt is probably lead-acid, which is about twice as heavy as nicads for the same number of watt-hours.

I use lead-acid battery belts (they're just so much less expensive, and the batteries last a looooong time even without careful charge management). But I had my wife add suspenders to them, to take the weight off the kidneys and put it on the shoulders.

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

jerniganbrandonRe: On-Camera Light Selection for Wedding Videography
by on May 9, 2006 at 4:00:54 pm

So what amount of time can be translated from say 12 amp hours for a 50w light? Thanks for all the help!

Return to posts index

Doug GrahamRe: On-Camera Light Selection for Wedding Videography
by on May 10, 2006 at 2:02:55 pm

The equation is P=ExI, where P is power in watts, E is volts, I is current in amps.

If you have a 25 watt, 12V lamp, it draws I=P/E =25/12 =2.08 amps. If your battery has a 12 amp-hour capacity, it should run the light for about

12/2.08 = 5.77 hours.

Figure in a 25% fudge factor to account for losses, spec rated at different temperatures or draw rates, possible partial charge status, etc. You should get about 4 1/2 hours out of it.

If you use a dimmer, and do most of your shooting at a reduced light level, it will of course increase the time you can run.

Regards,
Doug Graham

Return to posts index

jerniganbrandonRe: On-Camera Light Selection for Wedding Videography
by on May 10, 2006 at 5:07:09 pm

Thanks Doug! That sounds like plenty of run time for an on camera light.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]